Lacrosse at the 1908 Summer Olympics
at the Games of the IV Olympiad
Patrick Brennan goes for a ground ball.
|Venue||White City Stadium|
|Competitors||33 from 2 nations|
A field lacrosse game was played between Canada and Great Britain at the 1908 Summer Olympics. The game marked the second appearance of lacrosse at the Olympics, the first being at the 1904 Summer Olympics. Only two teams competed — one fewer than in 1904. South Africa was slated to send a team but then withdrew prior to the tournament.
Both teams held try-outs to select the players to represent their country. The game was tied 9-9 in the fourth period, before Canada scored 5 straight goals to pull ahead. Canada won 14-10 to earn their second of two gold medals, the only lacrosse gold medals given out in the Olympic Games.
| Canada (CAN)
Richard Louis Duckett
Patrick Brennan (Capt.)
| Great Britain (GBR)
S. N. Hayes
Hubert Ramsey (Capt.)
C. J. Mason
F. S. Johnson
V. G. Gilbey
James Caldwell Alexander
|October 24||Great Britain||10||-||14||Canada||White City|
- Scoring summary
- FIRST QUARTER (5-1): Canada: Brennan (2), Turnbull, unknown (2); England: Buckland
- SECOND QUARTER: (6-2) Canada: unknown; England: Jones
- THIRD QUARTER (9-7): Canada: Turnbull (2), unknown; England: Jones (2), Buckland (3)
- FOURTH QUARTER (14-10): Canada: Brennan (3), Gorman (2); England: Jones, unknown (2)
- Mallon, Bill; Buchanan, Ian (2000). The 1908 Olympic Games: Results for All Competitors in All Events, with Commentary. McFarland & Co. pp. 197–199. ISBN 9780786440689.
- "The Fourth Olympiad London 1908" (PDF). LA84 Foundation. pp. 205–208.
- "Lacrosse at the 1908 London Summer Games". Sports Reference.
- "Laws of Lacrosse - Special Code for Olympic Games" (PDF). LA84 Foundation. pp. 503–509.