|Predecessor||la société Besnier|
|Headquarters||Laval, Mayenne, France|
|Emmanuel Besnier, CEO|
|Products||Cheese, butter, milk|
|Owner||Besnier family via Belgium-based holding company BSA International SA|
Number of employees
Lactalis is a multinational dairy products corporation, owned by the Besnier family and based in Laval, Mayenne, France. The company's former name was Besnier SA. It is the largest dairy products group in the world, and is the second largest food products group in France, behind Danone. It owns brands such as Galbani, Société, Bridel, Président, Rachel's Organic and Valmont.
André Besnier started a small cheesemaking company in 1933 and launched its Président brand of Camembert in 1968. In 1990, it acquired Group Bridel (2,300 employees, 10 factories, fourth-largest French dairy group) with a presence in 60 countries. In 1992, it acquired United States cheese company Sorrento. In 1999, la société Besnier became le groupe Lactalis owned by Belgium-based holding company BSA International SA. In 2006, they bought Italian group Galbani, and in 2008, bought Swiss-based cheese maker Baer. In 2011, they bought Italian group Parmalat out of bankruptcy. In 2013, the Sorrento and Precious brands in the US were renamed Galbani, and the Sorrento Lactalis division was renamed Lactalis American Group.
In 2007, the French Institut National des Appellations d'Origine, which administers AOC (L'appellation d'origine contrôlée) designations for French food products, refused to permit Lactalis and the dairy cooperative, Isigny-Sainte-Mère, to sell pasteurized Camembert as "true Camembert". These two companies, as of 2007, represented between 80 and 90% of Normandy Camembert sales.
In July of 2017 it was announced that Groupe Danone had agreed to sell its Stonyfield Farm subsidiary to Lactalis for $875 Million  to avoid anti-trust claims and to clear the way for Danone's acquisition of U.S. organic food producer WhiteWave Foods.
Owned by the family controlled Belgium-based holding company BSA International SA, Lactalis in 2008 had global revenues of 9.35 billion euros, 5.6 billion euros (60%) outside France. Lactalis employs 38,000 persons. According to the company's website, Lactalis has 16,500 employees outside France, at 44 production sites. Lactalis USA is located in New York City.
The group operates in eight divisions:
- Lactalis cheeses with President – Rouy • Lepetit • Bridélight • Galbani • Rondelé • Munster's Little Friends
- Lactalis Butter & Creams with President – Bridélice • Bridélight • Primrose
- Lactel with Awakening – Day after day • Morning Light
- Lactalis AOC with Pochat – Istara • Beulet • Salakis • Lanquetot • Roquefort Société • Golden Ball • Lou Pérac • The Ruby • Raguin • The Stone Bridge
- Lactalis consumption AFH with President – Society • Bridel • Locatelli
- Lactalis industry with BBA – Calciane • Prolacta
- Tendriade Veal with Tendriade – Eurovo • Voréal
- Lactalis International with President – Sorrento • Valbreso • Galbani • Sorrento • Locatelli • Invernizzi
- LNUF with The Milkmaid – Yoco • Flanby • Sveltesse • Vienna • Greek Yogurt • Kremly • BA • Fold
Lactalis owns 198 industrial sites in 55 countries. 18 of these countries are USA, Romania, Poland, Italy, Russia, Ukraine, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Ireland, Portugal, Switzerland, Croatia, Czech Republic, United Kingdom, Australia and as of 2011 Canada and South Africa. Lactalis mostly produces yoghurt, butter and cheese and powder milk, baby formula and milk drinks.
- World's Major Multinationals. Directories (Euromonitor PLC). Euromonitor. 2000. p. 309. ISBN 978-0-86338-883-5. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Sukumar, C. R.; Kumar, Arun (15 August 2017). "Le Groupe Lactalis of France to purchase Tirumala Milk Products for $275 mn". Retrieved 15 August 2017 – via The Economic Times.
- Lactalis UK website. "Companies and Brands".
- Flex-news-food.com[dead link]
- "Lactalis set to enter thriving Turkish dairy sector through Ak Gida deal". www.dairyreporter.com. 7 May 2015. Retrieved 14 Nov 2015.
- "AK GIDA". www.unluco.com. Retrieved 14 Nov 2015.
- "Yıldız Holding sells dairy unit to French food giant". Hürriyet. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 14 Nov 2015.
- "Lactalis acquires Turkish dairy producer Ak Gıda". Foodbev.com. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 14 Nov 2015.
- Beth Kowitt. "Danone’s Stonyfield Sale Is the Latest Twist in the Yogurt Wars". Fortune. Retrieved August 24, 2017.
- Reuters (March 31, 2017). "Danone to sell Stonyfield unit as part of WhiteWave deal". CNBC. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Lactalis website. "Lactalis in the world".