Lacy M. Johnson
Lacy M. Johnson
Johnson at the 2018 Texas Book Festival
|Alma mater||PhD from University of Houston’s Creative Writing Program|
|Known for||Author of The Other Side|
Lacy M. Johnson is an American writer, professor and activist. She is the author of The Reckonings (Scribner, 2018) and The Other Side (Tin House, 2014). In both memoirs, Johnson tells readers about when her ex-boyfriend kidnapped, raped, and held her hostage in 2000. The books do not focus on the violence, but rather on how Johnson is reclaiming her story and learning how to cope with her trauma. After her first book, The Other Side, sparked international praise, she was repeatedly asked the question, "What would she like to see happen to her rapist." This question began Johnson's investigation into the concepts of forgiveness and mercy in her latest book, The Reckonings, where to many audience members surprise, Johnson does not want vengeance, and has frequently said, her idea of justice is to have her rapist be held accountable and for her to heal. Johnson's rapist was never brought to trial after he fled arrest and now lives in Venezuela.
Education and career
Johnson received her PhD from University of Houston’s Creative Writing Program and works as director of academic initiatives at University of Houston’s Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts. She also teaches at Rice University in creative nonfiction and she is the founding director of the Houston Flood Museum.
- "The Rumpus Interview with Lacy M. Johnson". The Rumpus.net. 2014-07-22. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- Dansby, Andrew (2018-08-21). "Jaipur Festival, the "greatest literary show on Earth," coming to Houston". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- Rommelmann, Nancy (2014-08-04). "Book Review: 'The Other Side' by Lacy M. Johnson". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- "Claiming My Body, Claiming My Voice: An Interview with Lacy M. Johnson - Los Angeles Review of Books". Los Angeles Review of Books. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- "An Interview with Lacy M. Johnson, author of The Other Side | Tin House". Tin House. 2014-08-11. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- "Review: Houston Memoirist Lacy M. Johnson's The Other Side Finds Redemption in the Dark - The Texas Observer". The Texas Observer. 2014-07-22. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- THE OTHER SIDE by Lacy M. Johnson | Kirkus Reviews.
- "Lacy M. Johnson | English | Rice University". english.rice.edu. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|