Lad Khan Temple
|Lad Khan Temple|
|History and governance|
|Date built||5th century|
The Lad Khan Temple, dedicated to Shiva, is one of the oldest Hindu temples and is located in Aihole in the state of Karnataka, India. It was built in the 5th century by the kings of the Chalukya dynasty. It is located to the south of the Durga temple, Aihole. The temple is named after a person named Lad khan, who turned this temple into his residence for a short period and this is the oldest temple of Aihole.
The temple consists of a shrine (garba griha) with mandapa in front of it. The mukha mandapa is situated in front of the sanctum and consists of a set of 12 carved pillars. The sabha mandapa leads to the maha mandapa and the pillars are arranged to form two concentric squares. The walls have floral patterns on them and the windows have lattice work done in the northern style. Facing the sanctum, a second smaller sanctum is situated above the center of the hall whose outer walls have many carved images.
Originally dedicated to Vishnu, now the main shrine houses a Shiva Linga with a Nandi. The temple was built in a Panchayatana style, indicating a very early experiment in temple construction. The special feature of this temple is that it starts with a rectangular structure and ends with a square structure. Based on a wooden construction design, the square and rectangular plan has a steep roof, which is an adaptation of wooden styles in stone.
- Centre for Cultural Resources and Training Temple Architecture . Government of India. Retrieved on July 20, 2015
- Biswas, Subhash C, India the Land of Gods . Partridge India, 2014.
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections Division Corner view of carved pillar, Lad Khan temple . UW Digital Collections. Retrieved on July 20, 2015
- G. E. Kidder Smith Image Collection Lad Khan Temple . MIT Libraries. Retrieved on July 20, 2015
- Raghavan, Vikram K (13 May 2010). "Surviving the test of time". The Hindu. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lad Khan Temple, Aihole.|