Ladies' Night (album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||September 6, 1979|
|Genre||Disco, funk, R&B|
|Kool & the Gang chronology|
Cover of the 1995 reissue
|Singles from Ladies' Night|
Ladies' Night is the eleventh studio album by the funk band Kool & the Gang, released in 1979. The album became their first major success especially after the release of the title track, the U.S. #8 "Ladies' Night," and the U.S. #5 follow-up "Too Hot" which both became Billboard Top 10 hits. The album brought a return to the mainstream after a lull in success from 1976-1978. In addition all the cuts from the album reached number five on the disco chart.
Ladies' Night was the album where Kool & the Gang perfected their funky style and made it more mainstream by incorporating some pop and light R&B into the sound. The result was that this album was not only popular during the 1970s black-oriented funk era where the band started, but also during the more popular and diverse disco era. Ladies' Night became their first Platinum album. It also marked the debut of lead vocalist James "J.T." Taylor.
All tracks are written by Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang; except where noted.
|1.||"Ladies' Night"||George Brown, Kool & the Gang||6:38|
|2.||"Got You into My Life"||4:25|
|3.||"If You Feel Like Dancin'"||5:05|
|2.||"Tonight's the Night"||7:21|
|3.||"Too Hot"||Brown, Kool & the Gang||5:05|
|US Billboard R&B||1|
|US Billboard 200||13|
|1979||Ladies' Night||US Billboard R&B||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||8|
|UK Singles Chart||9|
|1980||"Too Hot"||US Billboard R&B||3|
|US Billboard Hot 100||5|
|UK Singles Chart||23|
|1980||Hangin' Out||US Billboard R&B||36|
|UK Singles Chart||52|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Mike Doud - Art Direction
- Joe Kotleba - Cover Design
- Raul Vega - Photography
- Joe Gastwirt - CD Mastering and CD Digital Remastering
- Hanson, Amy. "Kool & the Gang: Ladies' Night > Review" at AllMusic. Retrieved October 29, 2011.
- Keepnews, Peter (March 6, 1980). "Kool & the Gang: Ladies' Night". Rolling Stone. Straight Arrow (RS 312). ISSN 0035-791X. Archived from the original on 2007-11-16.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Joel Whitburn's hot dance/disco, 1974-2003. Menomonee Falls, Wis: Record Research Inc. p. 148. ISBN 978-0-89820-156-7.
- "Kool & the Gang". Billboard. Lynne Segall. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Ladies' Night > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums" at AllMusic. Retrieved October 29, 2011.
- "Ladies' Night > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singless" at AllMusic. Retrieved October 29, 2011.
- "Kool & the Gang - Full Official Chart History". Official Charts Company. Official Charts Company. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "American album certifications – Kool & The Gang – Ladies Night". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.