Ladies in Black (film)
|Ladies in Black|
|Directed by||Bruce Beresford|
|Music by||Christopher Gordon|
|Edited by||Mark Warner|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures|
|20 September 2018|
Ladies in Black is a 2018 Australian comedy-drama film directed by Bruce Beresford. Starring Angourie Rice, Rachael Taylor, Julia Ormond, Ryan Corr and Shane Jacobson, the film is based on the 1993 novel The Women in Black by Madeleine St John, and tells the story of a group of department store employees in 1959 Sydney. The film was released on September 20, 2018.
- Angourie Rice as Lisa
- Rachael Taylor as Fay
- Julia Ormond as Magda
- Vincent Perez as Stefan
- Susie Porter as Mrs. Miles
- Ryan Corr as Rudi
- Nicholas Hammond as Mr. Ryder
- Shane Jacobson as Mr. Miles
- Noni Hazlehurst as Miss Cartwright
- Luke Pegler as Frank
- Celia Massingham as Myra
- Alison McGirr as Patty Williams
- Trent Baines as Greg
The Ladies in Black was thirty years in the making, with writer-director Bruce Beresford attached to the project. Beresford and novelist Madeleine St John, who wrote the book of which the film is an adaptation, were university friends, and Beresford had promised to one day adapt her novel into film since first reading it around its original publication. In October 2017, the cast was announced, with principal production commencing that month in Sydney, Australia.
Prior to release, Ladies in Black was projected to have "a sizable opening weekend and a long run sustained by word-of-mouth and repeat business."
Ladies in Black received generally positive reviews from critics. On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 81% based on 16 reviews, with an average rating of 7/10.
Neil Young of the Hollywood Reporter said of the film, "Ladies in Black quietly but effectively points out the seldom-stressed positives of immigration and integration, and thus deserves attention far beyond its own native shores". Jake Wilson in The Sydney Morning Herald says the period details "carry the authority of first-hand experience". Australian film critic David Stratton, writing for The Australian, wrote "Ladies in Black may be seen mistakenly as lightweight or slight; it isn't. It brims with subtext and nuance and at the same time succeeds in being a thoroughly enjoyable entertainment."
- "Ladies in Black Movie | In Cinemas September 20". www.ladiesinblackmovie.com.au. Retrieved 2018-09-19.
- "Ladies in Black (2018) - The Screen Guide - Screen Australia". www.screenaustralia.gov.au. Retrieved 2018-09-19.
- Bruce Beresford: At last, making the film that obsessed me for 30 years
- Bulbeck, Pip (3 October 2017). "Angourie Rice to Star in Australian Period Drama 'Ladies in Black'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "An Australian and International ensemble cast join Bruce Beresford's Ladies in Black | Media centre – Screen Australia". Screen Australia. Retrieved 2018-09-19.
- Bruce Beresford’s ‘Ladies in Black’ is dressed for success
- Ladies in Black, retrieved 2018-09-19
- "'Ladies in Black': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-09-19.
- Wilson, Jake (19 September 2018). "Ladies in Black review: Counter culture explored". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- "David Stratton on Ladies in Black". The Australian. Retrieved 2018-09-19.