Lady Mary Charteris
|Lady Mary Charteris|
Mary Olivia Charteris|
23 April 1987
Westminster, London, England
Robbie Furze (m. 2012)
|Father||James Charteris, 13th Earl of Wemyss and 9th Earl of March|
|Mother||Catherine Ingrid Guinness|
|Occupation||Model, musician, DJ|
Lady Mary Olivia Charteris Furze (born 23 April 1987) is a British fashion model, DJ, and musician. She is a vocalist and keyboardist in the English electronic rock band The Big Pink.
Early life and family
Lady Mary Olivia Charteris was born on 23 April 1987 to James Charteris, 13th Earl of Wemyss and 9th Earl of March and the Hon. Catherine Ingrid Guinness, a former colleague of Andy Warhol and the daughter of Jonathan Bryan Guinness, 3rd Baron Moyne. She has an older brother, Francis Richard Charteris, Lord Elcho. Daphne Guinness is her maternal aunt. She is a member of the Scottish noble Charteris family. Her parents divorced in 1988. Her mother remarried to Robert Hesketh in 1990. In 1995 her father remarried to Amanda Feilding. She was educated at Francis Holland School in London, where she studied classical civilization, art, and ethics.
As a teenager, Charteris began modeling after Isabella Blow, a magazine editor and family friend, introduced her to the Storm Models agency. She has modeled for Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Nike, Iceberg, Philip Treacy, Markus Lupfer, Thakoon, Jason Wu, and Topshop. She has been featured in print editorials and spreads in Vogue, Vogue Italia, British Vogue, Vanity Fair, Love, Tatler, Glamour Spain, Elle Korea, L'Officiel, Flaunt, and Purple and has posed for Mario Testino, Terry Richardson, Olivier Zahm, Ellen Von Unwerth, Solve Sundsbo, David Bailey, and Michel Comte. In December 2012 Charteris was selected by Amazon UK to showcase their new collection for the launch of their premium women's fashion online store. In September 2018 Charteris walked the runway for Alice Temperley during 2019 Spring-Summer London Fashion Week.
Charteris began her music career as a disc jockey, playing a fusion of retro and dance tracks at music festivals, weddings, and fashion events. She is a frequent attendee at music festivals like Glastonbury and Coachella. In June 2018 she performed as a DJ at the Cartier Queen's Cup.
In January 2013 Charteris announced an electronic music project she created called MPRSSS. She was influenced by her relationship with her husband's band. She began experimenting in her husband's studio with beats and synths with different effects, which lead to the creation of MPRSSS. The video was directed by Rob Hawkins.
The Big Pink
Charteris became involved with the electronic rock band The Big Pink when she began dating her future husband, Robbie Furze. She joined the rock group on tour; selling merchandise, managing press, and assisting with stage lighting. In 2016 she joined the rock group as a keyboarder and vocalist. Charteris' first record as a member of the band, making her debut in the single Hightimes, was the EP Empire Underground which released on 4 March 2016. In 2016 she began her first tour with the band as a vocalist on their North American tour. She and Robbie Fulze also perform sets as DJs together under Big Pink and Big Pink Stripped Back.
Charteris married rock singer Robertson "Robbie" Furze in 2012 at Stanway House, her family's estate in Gloucestershire. Guests included Florence Welch, Lily Allen, Poppy Delevingne, Sean Lennon, Jerry Hall, and Georgia May Jagger. Her wedding dress, designed by Pam Hogg, was later put on exhibit at the Victoria and Albert Museum. Charteris and her husband live in Los Angeles.
Titles and styles
- 23 April 1987 – 2012: The Lady Mary Olivia Charteris
- 2012 – present: The Lady Mary Olivia Furze
- "Person Page". thepeerage.com. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "Mary Charteris - The Modern Prep Gazette". blog.sloaneranger.com.
- Matthams-Spencer, Eugénie Trochu, translated by Kate. "Mary Charteris in Fendi".
- "Who is Lady Mary Charteris?". Daily Mail Online. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "THE INSIDER: MARY CHARTERIS". 24 February 2011.
- "Mary Charteris".
- "Mary Charteris". Bellazon.
- "Mary Charteris - Model".
- Ltd, Studio Juice,. "Mary Charteris is managed by Insanity". www.insanitygroup.com.
- "It Ain't Pink Here, but There's Lots of It".
- "thisistheuniform". thisistheuniform.
- "Press Release". phx.corporate-ir.net.
- "Amazon launches a high-end fashion site in the U.K." 6 December 2012.
- "DJ Mary Charteris - Kelvedon Bash". 14 April 2017.
- "Grandeur and Style Prevailed at Amber Guinness's Wedding in Florence".
- "How to Get the Fur and Velvet Modern Rock Queen Style of Lady Mary Charteris". 12 November 2014.
- "Not A Flower Crown In Sight: The Best A-List Looks From Glastonbury 2017".
- "Mary Charteris". 21 March 2013.
- "Oracle / MPRSSS A New Music Project by Mary Charteris - purple TELEVISION".
- "Mary Charteris not rocked by Robbie's tour". Telegraph. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- Bronson, Kevin (November 18, 2015). "Stream: The Big Pink, 'Hightimes'". buzzbands.la.
- "The Big Pink: Empire Underground EP Album Review - Pitchfork". pitchfork.com.
- "The Big Pink - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music". BBC.
- Wolgamott, L. Kent. "Hip English band The Big Pink set to invade Vega".
- "Mary Charteris & Robbie Furze of the Big Pink SPIN". www.spin.com.
- Katy Forrester. "Lady Mary Charteris brushes off Jamie Hince rumours after Kate Moss split as she shares TOPLESS photo". Mirror Online. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "Empire Underground EP, by The Big Pink". B3SCI Records.
- "PopGun Presents - Interview: The Big Pink". www.popgunpresents.com.
- "[B3SR 031] THE BIG PINK - EMPIRE UNDERGROUND (EP) - blahblahblahscience".
- "It's High Time For The Big Pink - Anthem Magazine". anthemmagazine.com.
- "The Big Pink on Apple Music". Apple Music.
- "The Big Pink Reveals New Sound On JBTV Stage - JBTV". jbtvmusic.com.
- Ltd, Studio Juice,. "The Big Pink is represented by Insanity". www.insanitygroup.com.
- "Frock and roll... Lady Mary Charteris's very alternative wedding". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- "My Fair Lady: Mary Charteris's Wedding". Vogue. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- Lidbury, Olivia (3 September 2012). "A wedding dress fit for a lady? Mary Charteris marries in Pam Hogg". telegraph.co.uk.
- "Lily Allen debuts baby bump at The Big Pink wedding - NME". 2 September 2012.
- "¡Cuidado 'it-girls'! Lady Mary Charteris, la aristócrata roquera, pide pista para aterrizar". 29 May 2015.
- "Si Lady GaGa pasase por el altar". 4 September 2012.
- Franklin, Ericka (6 May 2016). "Five Minutes With Lady Mary Charteris: The London Transplant Shares Her L.A. Secrets".
- Kelly, Helen (28 June 2017). "Mary Charteris flashes BARE BREASTS in sheer lace frock at Serpentine Gallery Summer Party".
- "Style File: Mary Charteris". 14 August 2014.
- "PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News". www.pressreader.com.
- "Mary Charteris news and features". www.tatler.com.
- WWD, Marcy Medina. "Rosetta and Balthazar Getty throw a dinner party to celebrate Desert X with Orchard Mile". latimes.com.