Lady T (album)
|Studio album by Teena Marie|
|Released||February 14, 1980|
|Teena Marie chronology|
|Robert Christgau||B |
Released in 1980. The album was produced by Richard Rudolph, and the track "Too Many Colors" features the then 7 year-old Maya Rudolph, daughter of Rudolph and his late wife Minnie Riperton. The album was dedicated to Minnie Riperton. Lady T was the nickname of Teena Marie at Motown Records. The packaging of Teena Marie's debut album Wild and Peaceful had not included a picture of the singer, and the image on the sleeve of this album surprised many people who had assumed she was African-American.
Lady T peaked at #18 on the Black Albums chart and #45 on the Pop Albums chart. Lead single "Behind the Groove" peaked at #21 on the US Black Singles chart and became Teena Marie's only top 20 hit in the United Kingdom, reaching #6 in that country.
- "Behind the Groove" (Marie, Richard Rudolph) 6:06
- "Now That I Have You" (Art Philips, Richard Rudolph, Claudia Talbot) 5:32
- "Lonely Desire" (Marie, Richard Rudolph, Dwayne Wedlaw) 4:39
- "Aladdin's Lamp" (Marie) 4:55
- "You're All the Boogie I Need" (Mickey Hearn, Marie) 5:44
- "Can It Be Love" (Marie, Dwayne Wedlaw) 4:24
- "Young Girl in Love" (Jill Jones, Marie) 3:55
- "Why Did I Have to Fall in Love with You" (Marie, George Sopuch) 4:45
- "Too Many Colors (Tee's Interlude)" (Marie) 3:10
- "Why Can't I Get Next to You" (Marie) 3:58
- "Co-Pilot to Pilot" (Marie) 4:23
- Teena Marie - Acoustic Guitar, Lead and Backing Vocals
- Nathan Watts, Eddie Watkins, Oscar Alston on "Behind The Groove" - Bass
- Paulinho Da Costa - Percussion
- Michael Boddicker - Synthesizer
- Jeremy Lubbock - Fender Rhodes
- Randy Waldman - Fender Rhodes, Piano, Synthesizer
- Greg Hargrove, Tim May, Bob "Boogie" Bowles, Art Phillips - Guitar
- Charles A. Glenn, Jr., Eddie N. Watkins, Jr. - Bass
- Christopher Anthony Boehme, Paul Hines, Tony "T-Bird" Lewis - Drums
- Gary Grant - Flugelhorn, Trumpet
- Kim Hutchcroft - Flute, Saxophone
- Jerry Hey - Flugelhorn, Trumpet
- Charles Loper - Trombone
- Steve Forman - Percussion
- Everett Bryson, Jr. - Conga, Percussion
- James S. Stewart, Jr. - Piano
- Thomas "T" Bumpass - Trumpet, Backing Vocals
- William Carroll White, Jr. - Saxophone, Backing Vocals
- Larry Williams - Flute, Saxophone
- Ray C. Woodard - Saxophone, Backing Vocals
- Bob Zimmitti - Cowbell, Percussion
- Maya Rudolph, Dwayne Medlaw - Voices
- Diahnne Abbott, Brenda Lee Eager, Linda Little, Jill Jones, Bill Thedford - Backing Vocals
|Billboard Pop Albums||45|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||18|
|1980||"Can It Be Love"||57||—|
|"Behind the Groove"||21||4|
- Kellman, Andy. Teena Marie: Lady T > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 04 September 2011.
- Christgau, Robert. "Teena Marie: Lady T > Review". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Teena Marie US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- "Teena Marie US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-09-03.