1968 45 rpm dust cover
|Single by Gary Puckett & The Union Gap|
|from the album Incredible|
|Gary Puckett & The Union Gap singles chronology|
"Lady Willpower" is a song written by Jerry Fuller and recorded by Gary Puckett & The Union Gap for their 1968 album, Incredible. It is sung from the point of view of a man who is frustrated that the woman he is seeing will not agree to have sex with him. He promises, if she complies, to "shower [her] heart with tenderness," but it is also implicit that the relationship will end ("It's now or never") if she does not.
The song hit No. 1 on the U.S. Cashbox Top 100 and No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1968 (behind "Grazing in the Grass" by Hugh Masekela). It also reached No. 5 on the UK Singles Chart during the year. It reached No. 26 U.S. Easy Listening.
It ranked among Cashbox's Top 100 singles of 1968, where it hit the No. 1 position the week ending August 3, 1968. The song was the No. 34 song on the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles in 1968.
- Gary Puckett & The Union Gap charting singles Retrieved 09-26-11
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 442. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–1993. Record Research. p. 194.
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 232. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- Cash Box Top Singles of 1968 Archived 2010-11-21 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 09-26-11
- Billboard Top 100 Songs of 1968 Archived 2010-11-25 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 09-26-11