1968 45 rpm dust cover
|Single by Gary Puckett & The Union Gap|
|from the album Incredible|
|Gary Puckett & The Union Gap singles chronology|
It is sung from the point of view of a man who is frustrated that the woman he loves will not agree to date him. He promises, if she complies, to "shower [her] heart with tenderness," but it is also implicit that he will no longer stick around ("It's now or never") if she does not.
In the U.S., the song hit No. 1 Cashbox Top 100 It ranked among Cashbox's Top 100 singles of 1968, where it hit the No. 1 position the week ending August 3, 1968. "Lady Willpower" went No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1968 (behind "Grazing in the Grass" by Hugh Masekela). and reached No. 26 on the Easy Listening chart.. The song was the No. 34 song on the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles in 1968. Outside the US, "Lady Willpower" reached No. 5 on the UK Singles Chart during the year.
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 232. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- Cash Box Top Singles of 1968 Archived 2010-11-21 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 09-26-11
- Gary Puckett & The Union Gap charting singles Retrieved 09-26-11
- Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–1993. Record Research. p. 194.
- Billboard Top 100 Songs of 1968 Archived 2010-11-25 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 09-26-11
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 442. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.