Lady in Red (ghost)
A Lady in Red or "Red Lady" is a type of female ghost, similar to the White Lady, but according to legend is more specifically attributed to a jilted lover, prostitute killed in a fit of passion, or woman of vanity. Such a figure is thereby seen as a victim of objectification. In all cases, the Lady in Red is wearing a scarlet or blood red dress. She is said to be typically friendly in disposition, with a story attached to historic hotels, theatres or other public places, with a higher frequency of reports from old mining communities due to the prostitution trade.
A Lady in Red has been reported haunting Wrexham Hall in Chesterfield, Virginia where it is believed Susannah Walthall, daughter of the original proprietor, died. The book Chesterfield County Chronicles relates that the woman is seen sitting on the porch and that her footsteps can be heard. Rocking chairs move on their own and doors open and close.
The Red Lady of Huntingdon College in Montgomery, Alabama was a former student that vainly wore red. Her ghost is said to linger in the corridors and further inspired an annual run by students called The Red Lady Run.
In Charleston, North Carolina, near Dock Street Theatre, a Lady in Red is said to be the ghost of Nettie Dickerson, a prostitute who frequented the Planter's Hotel (now the historic French Quarter building). According to legend, she worked as a clerk in the nearby St. Philip's Episcopal Church, while visiting the hotel at night. At the age of 25 she was standing in her red dress on the balcony of the hotel during a storm when she was struck by lightning and killed.
In Chicago's Drake Hotel a jealous woman wearing a blood-red dress took her life after jumping from the 10th floor (or the roof, as accounts vary). Guests claim to see her in her last steps from the Gold Coast Room, the Palm Court, and on the 10th floor.
A Lady in Red is said to haunt Illinois Wesleyan University's Kemp Hall. The mansion was once owned by the prosperous DeMange family, whose matriarch died only after a year in the house. Her reflection is reportedly seen on certain evenings in a full length mirror off the top steps of the second floor where she is preparing herself for a grand ball.
The fifth floor of the Mizpah Hotel in Nevada is known for a Lady in Red known as "Rose" who died at the hands of a jealous lover. Reportedly in the suite named for her, she is known to whisper in men's ears and leave pearls from her broken necklace on guest pillows.
Blake Street Vault in Denver is said to have a resident Lady in Red, referred to as Lydia, who was a saloon girl from the 1860s. She is allegedly seen in the shadows of its basement and the sound of her high heels walk across its floorboards. Lydia is said to have been murdered by an enraged male patron of the saloon while one story explains she was pushed by him down the staircase.
Medium Bonnie Vent reportedly communicated with a Lady in Red at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Old Town San Diego. Room 4/5 is the alleged spot where she resides and the exterior walkway where she would have solicited clients.
In Palm Springs a Lady in Red is said to frequent the spot of her death outside of Korakia Pensione, a Moroccan styled Inn once known as Dar Marroc an exclusive stopover for the likes of Winston Churchill, Rudolph Valentino and Errol Flynn.
The RMS Queen Mary, an ocean liner from the 1930s now resides in Long Beach, California as a hotel where a Lady in Red is said to be seen by staff in the third-class lounge. On her first appearance the cleaning crew called security when they spotted her sitting in a chair in the middle of the lounge between two standing mirrors. Her appearance lasted over ten minutes before vanishing. Tour guides continue to bring tourists to the spot where some believe they have captured her presence on camera.
The Moran Mansion in Orcas Island, Washington is allegedly haunted by a Lady in Red who is believed to be the spirit of Alice Goodfellow Rheem, the eccentric wife of the mansion's second owner Donald Rheem.
The FirstOntario Concert Hall, informally known as Hamilton Place, in Hamilton, Ontario is said to be haunted by a Lady in Red that also weeps red tears. She has been reported by both staff and theatre-goers.
Toronto's Lower Bay transit station has been closed since 1966 but has numerous reports of a Lady in Red. According to witnesses the ghost appears distraught as it glides without feet or eyes. Furthermore, workers that claim to have seen her refuse to go back to work in the tunnel.
United Kingdom and Ireland
In Thailand, there is a story of a Lady in Red that is believed to be a spirit who drowned in the Bang Pakong River. Witnesses claim to see her while driving their cars across the bridge of the Bang Pakong River at night.
In popular culture
In Kat Shepherd's children's book a Lady in Red haunts a theater in The Twilight Curse.
- "Haunted Places in Amherst, New York". Hauntedplaces.org. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- Favorite haunts: Ghost stories of Chesterfield | Chesterfield Observer
- Beacon Vault: Wilkes campus abound with ghostly lore – The Beacon
- "Haunted Montford". Ghost Hunters of Asheville. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- Boutwell, Josh (2016-10-31). "The Haunted History of the Old Rawls Hotel | News". dothaneagle.com. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- Posted 6:35 PM, September 22, 2015, by Kevin Craig (2015-09-22). "Marshall's horse drawn ghost tours | Fox17". Fox17online.com. Retrieved 2018-05-02.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Wilber, Jennifer (2018-08-28). "The Lady in Red of the Sandusky Mall: Hauntings of Erie County, Ohio". Exemplore. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- Morgan, Adam (2017-10-30). "A Brief History of Chicago's Other Haunted Hotel | Chicago magazine | Politics & City Life October 2017". Chicagomag.com. Retrieved 2018-05-07.
- Carr, Deborah (2016-09-19). "Haunted Bloomington-Normal, Illinois eBook by Deborah Carr Senger - 9781439657607 | Rakuten Kobo". Kobo.com. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- "Illinois Wesleyan: Campus Haunts". Iwu.edu. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- Paige Southerland. "Lanier Mansion to host ghost walks". Indianamuseum.org. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Lady in Red: From Ghost Stories at". Americanfolklore.net. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- "An Evening With the Lady In Red". TravelNevada. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- Sponsored by TravelNevada April 23, 2018 (2018-04-23). "Finding a Muse in the Supernatural". Atlas Obscura. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- Ghost of a chance at experiencing the paranormal in Tonopah | Las Vegas Review-Journal
- "9 Creepy Haunted House Stories - True Ghost Stories From Scary Places". Housebeautiful.com. 2018-08-06. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Historic LoDo Denver, Colorado Saloon - Bar and Restaurant". The Blake Street Vault. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- "The Most Haunted Bar in Denver". Nightly Spirits. 2018-09-27. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- Dillon, Theresa (2016-08-11). "From Wickest City in the West to Nightmarish Ghost Town: Jerome, Arizona – The 13th Floor". The13thfloor.tv. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- "The Haunted St. Anthony Hotel". Ghost City Tours. 1965-02-09. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Ghost stories, cemeteries provide bits of history". Rgj.com. 2014-10-11. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- "Bonnie Vent - Cosmopolitan Hotel Haunted". Sdparanormal.com. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- by ghostghoul · August 6, 2018 (2018-08-06). "Ghost Photo: Cosmopolitan Spirit | Ghosts and Ghouls". Ghostsnghouls.com. Retrieved 2018-09-04.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Admin. "The Legend of the Lady in Red". Coachella Valley Weekly. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- The Haunted History of The Palace Hotel in San Francisco | Wild SF
- GHOST HUNTERS / SECOND OF TWO PARTS: A sunset trip to a graveyard yields a poignant encounter, and scouting an 'ultra-haunted' lodge brings back that eerie feeling - SFGate
- Welcome to mystery411 Haunted The Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites page
- Mateo, Ashley (2018-01-19). "The Most Haunted Homes, Hotels, and Lodges in America: 2018". Mensjournal.com. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- Forbidden Vancouver (2015-10-30). "Haunted Vancouver: Hotel Vancouver and its glamorous Lady in Red | Daily Hive Vancouver". Dailyhive.com. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- "Vancouver's Legendary 'Lady in Red' Ghost Photographed?". Coast to Coast AM. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- Harrison Mooney (2017-05-27). "Vancouver man shares possible photo of 'The Lady in Red', local ghost". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- By:. "The Luxury Hotel Insider". Five Star Alliance. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- "Why I Love Toronto — Haunted Toronto Lower Bay Station Known as the". Whyilovetoronto.tumblr.com. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- "The ghosts of Toronto". Blogto.com. 2011-10-21. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- "The village with a dozen ghosts". Fortean Times.
- "The 10 Scariest Haunted Castles In The World". TheRichest. 2015-07-21. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- The stories behind the most eerie haunts in Scotland - Scottish Field
- Scottish ghost stories – witches | National Trust for Scotland
- Haunted Malaysia: Ghost tour in Melaka! - Travel Hysteria
- "ผวาวิญญาณหลอน บนสะพานบางปะกง" [Frightened haunted on Bang Pakong Bridge]. 2019-04-21 (in Thai). Thai Rath. 2018-03-04.
- "K-Drama Premiere: "The Ghost Detective" Makes An Eerie Entrance That Unnaturally Hooks". Medium.com. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- THE TWILIGHT CURSE by Kat Shepherd , Rayanne Vieira | Kirkus Reviews