Lady of the Lake (brig)
|Name:||Lady of the Lake|
|Fate:||Wrecked off Cape St. Francis on 11 May 1833.|
The vessel had departed from Belfast on 8 April 1833, bound for Quebec. At 8:00 a.m. on 11 May 1833, Lady of the Lake was struck by ice on the starboard bow and began to sink, about 400 kilometres (250 mi) east of Cape St. Francis, Newfoundland. One of the lifeboats capsized shortly after lowering, with the loss of an estimated 80 individuals. Lady of the Lake continued to sink with about 30 passengers clinging to the maintop mast. The survivors spent 75 hours in an open boat before being rescued by the ship Amazon.
Voyages from 1829–1833
|Departure Date||Port of Departure||Arrival Date||Port of Arrival||Master||Remarks||Consigned to|
|Sept 2, 1829||Dublin||22 October 1829||Quebec||Stephens||In Ballast||H. Lemesurier & Co |
|17 November 1829||Quebec||???||Galway||Stephens||H. Lemesurier & Co |
|25 August 1830||Greenock||13 October 1830||Quebec||Glederie||In Ballast||Rodger Dean & Co. |
|16 November 1830||Quebec||???||Greenock||Glederie||Rodger Dean & Co |
|2 April 1832||Aberdeen, Scotland||2 June 1832||Quebec||Grant||Transport 15 Settlers||G.H. Parke |
|27 August 1832||Belfast, Ireland||19 October 1832||Quebec||Patterson||At Grosse Isle on 16 October?||G.H. Parke |
- "Wreck of the Lady of the Lake". The Courier (Middlesex, London). 4 July 1833.
- "Distressing Shipwrecks". The Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania). 18 June 1833.
- Thomas, R. (1848). Interesting and authentic narratives of the most remarkable shipwrecks, fires, famines, calamities, providential deliverances, and lamentable disasters on the seas: in most parts of the world. Silas Andrus & Son. p. 356-7.
- 1833 - May Archived 23 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine, National Research Council of Canada.
- Baehre, Rainer (1999). Outrageous Seas: Shipwreck and Survival in the Waters Off Newfoundland, 1583-1893 McGill-Queens. p. 36.
- International Ice Patrol, United States Coast Guard History.
- The Ship List, Ship Arrivals at the Port of Quebec, 1829 Archived 29 August 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- The Ship List, Ship Arrivals at the Port of Quebec, 1830 Archived 5 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- The Ship List, Ship Arrivals at the Port of Quebec, 1832 Archived 10 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- The Lady of the Lake at wrecksite.eu