Playhouse 7 in Pasadena, California
|Founder||Max and Kurt Laemmle|
|Los Angeles area|
|Services||Movie theater, Academy Award qualification|
|Owner||Robert and Greg Laemmle|
Laemmle Theatres (pronounced LEM-lee) is a group of family-run arthouse movie theaters in the Los Angeles area. It was established in 1938 and is owned and operated by Robert Laemmle and his son Greg Laemmle.
There are seven locations: Claremont 5 in Claremont, Monica 4-plex in Santa Monica, Music Hall 3 in Beverly Hills, Playhouse 7 in Pasadena, Royal Theatre in West Los Angeles, Town Center 5 in Encino, and NoHo 7 in North Hollywood. The Laemmle Grande 4-Plex on South Figueroa Street closed October 25, 2009 as L.A. Live's Regal Cinema complex was set to open.
In December 2011, the Glendale City Council and Redevelopment Agency approved a $12.8 million plan to develop a loft with 42 residential units, a 5-screen Laemmle Theaters, and a Panda Inn restaurant. Construction of the residential building complex began in mid-2015, and is expected to open in early 2017.
During the 21st century, the Laemmle venues have come to be known as the "Secret Path to Oscar Qualifying" since they have been repeatedly used by independent films, short films, and documentaries for that purpose. Laemmle provides services designed to enable a film to qualify for Academy Awards, charging a flat rate for exhibition while giving the film's producers 100 percent of the box office receipts; they have someone meet every year with the Academy committees in all the categories to ensure their "qualifying run" bookings actually qualify. They even help film-makers book their films outside of their own theaters if a committee requires that.
- Richard Verrier A Hollywood opening for downton cinema October 24, 2009 Los Angeles Times
- "Glendale's Laemmle Lofts Theater and Housing Finally Moving - Curbed LA". Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- "Redevelopment's Dissolution Leads City of Glendale To Create Its Own Economic Development Corporation | The Planning Report". Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- "Laemmle Lofts: Glendale". Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- "The Secret Path to Oscar Qualifying". The Wrap. November 5, 2009. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Qualification from the Laemmle Theatres website