Lafayette-Moraga Regional Trail
The Lafayette-Moraga Regional Trail is a 7.65-mile (12.31 km) pedestrian, bicycle, and equestrian path which runs between the cities of Lafayette and Moraga in Contra Costa county, California. It was one of the first rail-trails to be built in California.
The trail begins at the Olympic Boulevard staging area in Lafayette and ends at the Val Vista staging area in Moraga. Most of the trail is parallel to St. Mary's Road. The trail can be accessed from the Lafayette BART station, which is less than a mile's journey from where the trail meets 3rd Street and Moraga Boulevard.
It passes through the Moraga Commons park in Moraga and near the Lafayette Community Park in Lafayette. It passes near several schools, Saint Mary's College and Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School in Moraga, and Lafayette Elementary School in Lafayette.
The trail terminates in the Valle Vista staging area in Moraga, which is on EBMUD land. An $10 EBMUD trail use permit is required to hike in this area. The Valle Vista staging area connects to multiple EBMUD hiking trails, the 2.9 mile Redwood Trail (connecting to the East Ridge trail in Redwood Regional Park), and the 6.2 mile Rocky Ridge Trail.
The Lafayette-Moraga trail was built on a railway corridor which was once used to carry redwood lumber from Oakland to Sacramento. The corridor was first used by mule trains, and then by steam trains. The corridor then passed into a utility easement, before being converted into a paved multi-use recreational trail with the cooperation of local communities and utility districts.
January 2016 closure
A portion of the trail near the Valle Vista staging area has been closed since January 2016, due to a mudslide where Canyon Bridge crosses Moraga Creek. The closure is beyond downtown Moraga, and the main part of the trail between Lafayette and Moraga is still open. However, it is no longer possible to use the trail to reach the Valle Vista staging area in Moraga. The neighboring Canyon Road Bridge was closed on April 2017 but was reopened in November 2017, and it should be possible to reach the Valle Vista staging area via Canyon Road.
- "EBRPD - Lafayette-Moraga Regional Trail". Ebparks.org. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Trails - City of Lafayette, CA". Lovelafayette.org. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Photographic image of map\Website=Ebparks.org" (GIF). Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Redwood Trail". AllTrails.com. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Rocky Ridge Trail". Lamorindahikes.com. 3 February 2015. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Jennifer Modenessi (2016-01-26). "Portion of Lafayette-Moraga Regional Trail closed". East Bay Times. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- Sophie Braccini (2017-02-08). "EBMUD put on the spot for failure to address landslide on Augusta Drive". Lamorinda Weekly. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- "Canyon Road Bridge Closure April-2017". Moraga.ca.us. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Map of Lafayette-Moraga Trail
- Lafayette-Moraga Regional Trail - East Bay Regional Park
- Lafayette-Moraga Trail Page on traillink.com