Lafayette Central Catholic Jr/Sr High School
|Lafayette Central Catholic
Jr/Sr High School
For the Greater Glory of God
|2410 South Ninth Street
Lafayette, Indiana, 47909-2499
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Oversight||Lafayette Catholic School System|
|Teaching staff||28.6 (FTE|
|• Grade 7||79|
|• Grade 8||73|
|• Grade 9||66|
|• Grade 10||66|
|• Grade 11||56|
|• Grade 12||58|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.9|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and White|
|Slogan||He Shepherds, We Shape, They Shine|
|Fight song||Fight on, Central Catholic|
|Athletics conference||Hoosier Conference|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic Diocese of Lafayette in Indiana|
Lafayette Central Catholic Jr/Sr High School (often referred to as simply Central Catholic or CC) is a Roman Catholic high school located on the south side of Lafayette, Indiana, which lies 65 miles (108 km) northwest of Indianapolis. The school was founded in 1956 under the direction and guidance of Bishop John George Bennett of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lafayette in Indiana.
The current enrollment nears 400 total students. Grades seven and eight (Junior High) occupy their own separate wing of the building. Central Catholic is the first Catholic high school in the diocese and draws most of its students from the six local parishes, although some students come from parishes outside of the county. The vast majority of Central Catholic students come from the three Lafayette Catholic elementary schools, St. Mary, St. Boniface, and St. Lawrence. 95% of the student body is Roman Catholic.
Central Catholic was founded in 1956.
In 1990, citing a lack of support, money, and enrollment, CC threatened to close its doors. Former bishop, William Higi, announced in the spring of 1990 that CC's doors would close at the end of the school year. The announcement resulted in a strong showing of support from the principal at that time, Dave Worland, which eventually led to the reversal of the decision to close the school's doors.
The demographic breakdown of the 398 students enrolled for the 2013-2014 school year was:
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.5%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 2.3%
- Black - 1.0%
- Hispanic - 8.3%
- White - 87.9%
- Baseball (boys)
- State champion - 2004, 2007, 2009–2013
- Basketball (boys & girls)
- Cheerleading (girls)
- Cross country (co-ed)
- Football (boys)
- State champion - 1976, 1999, 2009-2012, 2015
- Golf (boys & girls)
- Soccer (boys & girls)
- Softball (girls)
- Swimming & diving (boys & girls)
- Tennis (boys & girls)
- Track & field (co-ed)
- Volleyball (girls)
- State champion - 2010
- Wrestling (boys)
In 2006, Central Catholic began a football rivalry series with St. Theodore Guerin High School, the only other Catholic High School in the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana. A traveling trophy known as the Bishop's Cannon was donated by former Bishop, William Higi.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Search for Private Schools - School Detail for Central Catholic Jr Sr High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Gallery: Sen. John F. Kennedy visits Lafayette". Journal and Courier. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Looking back 25-Years". Lafayette Catholic School System. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Team list". roeing.com. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Home Page
- Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana
- Indiana Department of Education Statistics for Lafayette Central Catholic Jr/Sr High School