Lafayette Township, Coshocton County, Ohio
|Lafayette Township, Coshocton County, Ohio|
The Andrew Ferguson House near West Lafayette
Location of Lafayette Township in Coshocton County
|• Total||25.1 sq mi (65.0 km2)|
|• Land||24.7 sq mi (63.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||166/sq mi (63.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085919|
Lafayette Township is one of the twenty-two townships of Coshocton County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census reported 4,081 people living in the township, 1,760 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- White Eyes Township - north
- Adams Township - northeast corner
- Oxford Township - east
- Linton Township - south
- Franklin Township - southwest
- Tuscarawas Township - west
- Keene Township - northwest corner
The village of West Lafayette is located in northeastern Lafayette Township.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Lafayette Township is located in Medina County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Lafayette township, Coshocton County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Hunt, William Ellis (1876). Historical Collections of Coshocton County, Ohio. R. Clarke & Company. p. 3.
- Graham, Albert Adams (1881). History of Coshocton County, Ohio: Its Past and Present, 1740-1881. A. A. Graham. p. 531.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.