Lafayette Township, Medina County, Ohio
|Lafayette Township, Medina County, Ohio|
The Medina County Home has served residents since 1894
Location of Lafayette Township in Medina County
|• Total||23.7 sq mi (61.3 km2)|
|• Land||23.2 sq mi (60.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,020 ft (311 m)|
|• Density||236.2/sq mi (91.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086597|
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- York Township - north
- Medina Township - northeast
- Montville Township - east
- Guilford Township - southeast corner
- Westfield Township - south
- Harrisville Township - southwest corner
- Chatham Township - west
- Litchfield Township - northwest corner
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Lafayette Township is located in Coshocton County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
As of 2008 the board was composed of Lynda Bowers, Don Butler, and Lee Kehoe (president), and the fiscal officer was Shirley Bailey.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Medina County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Township Government, Lafayette Township, 2008. Accessed 2008-07-05.