Laffing Room Only
|Laffing Room Only|
Laffing Room Only is a vaudeville revue in two acts by Ole Olsen, Chic Johnson, and Eugene Conrad, with music and lyrics by Burton Lane. This was the first show for which Burton Lane wrote both the words and the music. It was produced by the Shuberts (Lee and J.J.), Olsen, and Johnson at the Winter Garden Theatre, New York City, opening December 23, 1944. Laffing Room Only was staged by John Murray Anderson, with comedy directed by Edward Cline, music directed by John McManus, dances by Robert Alton, settings by Stewart Chaney, and costumes by Billy Livingston. The production was supervised by Harry Kaufman. It ran for 232 performances, closing on July 14, 1945.
In addition to Olsen and Johnson, the cast of 44 headlined Frank Libuse, Betty Garrett, and Willie West and McGinty. It included Mata and Hari, Margot Brander, Ethel Owen, Wiliam Archibald, Kathryn Lee, Pat Brewster, Ida James, Fred Waring’s Glee Club, and Herbert Ross.
- Stewart, John, "Broadway Musicals, 1943-2004", McFarland & Company, #384
- Green, Stanley, "Encyclopedia of the Musical Theatre", Da Capo Press, p. 240
- Green, Stanley, "Encyclopedia of the Musical Theatre", Da Capo Press, p. 383
- Mantle, Burns, editor, "The Best Plays of 1944-1945", Dodd, Mead & Company, p. 404
- Billboard Magazine (6 January 1945). "Review: Laffing Room Only", pp. 30: 34
- The Broadway League. "Laffing Room Only | IBDB: The official source for Broadway Information". IBDB. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- Ovrtur. "Laffing Room Only (Original Broadway Production, 1944)". Ovrtur. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Laffing Room Only on Broadway - Information, Cast, Crew, Synopsis and Photos". Playbill Vault. Retrieved 2014-06-03.