In scientific visualization, Lagrangian–Eulerian advection is a technique mainly used for the visualization of unsteady flows. The computer graphics generated by the technique can help scientists visualize changes in velocity fields. This technique uses a hybrid Lagrangian and Eulerian specification of the flow field. It is a special case of a line integral convolution.
The method consists of using nearest-neighbour interpolation followed by an error correction mechanism. The Lagrangian specification is used during the integration to update the particle positions. The property of interest is advected in the Eulerian frame of reference. It was originally designed by Bruno Jobard and others for steady flows but was extended to unsteady flows.
The main idea is to create a white noise texture of the desired resolution, which is used as a base, on top of which the vector field can be applied. That means for every particle looking backward in the vector field to find out the new value for the cell it is contained in. Then looking forward – to calculate the new position of the particle in the cell.
- Weiskopf, Daniel. GPU-Based interactive visualization techniques. p. 105. ISBN 9783540332626.
- Jobard, Bruno; Erlebacher, Gordon; Hussaini, M. Yousuff (2002). "Lagrangian–Eulerian Advection of Noise and Dye Textures for Unsteady Flow Visualization" (PDF). IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics. 8 (3): 211–222. doi:10.1109/TVCG.2002.1021575.
- Weiskopf, Daniel; Erlebacher, Gordon (2005). "Chapter 12 – Overview of flow visualization". In Hansen, Charles; Johnson, Christopher. The Visualization Handbook. p. 270. ISBN 9780123875822.
- Li, Guo-Shi. Interactive Texture Based Flow Visualization. p. 21. ISBN 9783540250760.
- Weiskopf, Daniel; Erlebacher, Gordon; Hopf, Matthias; Ertl, Thomas (2002). "Hardware-accelerated Langrangian–Eulerian texture advection for 2D Flow". In Greiner, Günther. Vision, Modeling, and Visualization 2002. IOS Press. pp. 77–84. ISBN 9783898380348. Preprint: A Case Study on Hardware-Accelerated Lagrangian–Eulerian Texture Advection for Flow Visualization
|This computer science article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This computer graphics–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|