Lahore College for Women University
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||'Discipline Ensures Success'|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Rukhsana Kausar|
Lahore College for Women University (Urdu: لاہور کالج فار ویمن یونیورسٹی) is an independent women's university in Lahore, Pakistan, founded as a women's college in May 1922. One of the oldest female institutions of Pakistan, the university has 15,000 students and a teaching faculty of 450. It admits students at the intermediate, bachelors, master's, and Ph.D. levels. Established as an intermediate residential college, it was in a building on Hall Road, Lahore, with a strength of 60 students (25 of whom were boarders) and 13 staff members.
Memoranda of understanding
MoUs with national industries and links with foreign universities have been established in the fields of Pharmacy, Electronics, Environmental Science, Fine Arts, Economics and Mass Communication.
Lahore College for Women University has established a Research Center to provide students with facilities and services for advance research.
Quality enhancement cell
A higher education institution needs quality benchmarks in its key performance areas. To institutionalize the process of quality control, the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) has been established in the HEC.
In pursuance of the National Action Plan for performance evaluation, assessment and accreditation of institutions of higher education, a Quality Enhancement Cell was established in Lahore College for Women University.
HEC Digital Library
HEC Digital Library is a program to provide researchers at public and private universities in Pakistan and non-profit research and development organizations with access to international scholarly literature based on electronic (online) delivery.
The main library of the university (Sciences, Computer Science and Arts) stocks books, magazines and publications as well as national newspapers.
Besides the main library there are seminar libraries in the post-graduate departments
There is a book bank maintained by the Social Work Department. Deserving and needy students are provided with textbooks.
To facilitate co-curricular activities and sports, there are student societies and clubs. Presidents and secretaries of these societies are nominated by the teachers. By participating in these activities the students win prizes. The Shaukat Ara Niazi Gold Medal is awarded to students on the basis of best performance in literary pursuits.
- Bazzm-e- Mushaira's develops literary and poetic ability among students by arranging poetry events and competitions. Inter-university functions and competitions are arranged
- Comptech Society is a platform for the student of Computer Science Department to incorporate their extracurricular activities. Students from BS-CS, MS-CS and MIT share their views and arrange events.
- The Economics Society arranges seminars, workshops, quiz competitions, and essay competitions.
- The English Debating Society allows students to present their views, building confidence and oratorical skills.
- The Geography Society objective is to enhance student's capabilities, enhance their knowledge, build confidence among students and promote teamwork
- The Home Economics Society organizes workshops and competitions.
- Iqbal Society (departments of Philosophy and Persian) organize Iqbal Day programs, workshops and seminars highlighting the thought and philosophy of Iqbal.
- The Psychology Society has been revived and the members to be elected are interviewed. The society arranges events like workshops, seminars, conferences and lectures.
- The Punjabi Debating Society arranges inter-class and intercollegiate debates competitions and prepares students of LCWU to participate in debating competitions in other colleges and universities.
- The Shaukat Ara Niazi English Literary Society is named after Shaukat Ara Niazi, a faculty member of the English Department. The society arranges events, quizzes, and essay writing competitions to polish students in literary activities.
- LCWU's Sports Society is under the department of Physical Education.
- The Statistics Society arranges seminars, workshops, quiz competitions, and essay competitions.
- The Urdu Debating Society deals with debate declamation and speeches.
- Under the Urdu Literary Society (Halqa-e-Ehel-e-Qalam) students participate in essay writing competitions at a national level. College- and university-level essay writing competitions are arranged to promote students in literary activities.
- Anusha Rahman
- Bushra Ansari
- Kishwar Naheed
- Manmohini Zutshi Sahgal
- Riffat Hassan
- Saba Hameed
- Salima Hashmi
- Samina Khalid Ghurki
- Maryam Nawaz
- Farhat Hashmi
- Diana Baig
- Women's colleges
- Lahore College for Women University
- List of educational institutions in Lahore
- List of current and historical women's universities and colleges
- Article about Lahore College for Women University