Lahore University of Management Sciences
Motto in English
|Salute to Education|
|Vice-Chancellor||Zain Salman Dar|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Campus||Urban, 100 acres (40 ha)|
|Colours||Navy blue, charcoal, white|
The Lahore University of Management Sciences (or LUMS), is a independent research oriented university located in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. Founded in 1984 by the patronage of the business–industrial community, the university offers programmes in science, arts, humanities, business and managements sciences The university is a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.
LUMS is ranked second in Pakistan in the international QS World University Rankings for the year 2014 and the 161st in Asia. The university has a student body of about 3,500 graduate and undergraduate students, a faculty of 200, most with PhDs from the top institutions in the world, and spreads on a 100-acre campus where more than half its student population and more than half its faculty lives.  It's business school is one of two in Pakistan to be certified by the South Asian Quality Assurance System. LUMS alumni include Momina Duraid, Pakistan's first female Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar and computer scientist Umar Saif,
- 1 History
- 2 Departments/schools
- 3 Faculty
- 4 Research at LUMS
- 5 Centres
- 6 LUMS Library
- 7 Societies
- 8 Scholarships
- 9 National Outreach Programme
- 10 Notable alumni
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
The university was granted a charter by the government of Pakistan in March 1985. The LUMS Board of Trustees comprises members of the domestic business community, academics, and government representatives. The principal functions of the board are to set policy guidelines and to review the operations of the university. The Board of Governors, as the sponsor of LUMS, raises funds for the university's operation and maintenance.
In 1986, a business school by the name of Lahore Business School was established for an MBA Programme. Later the school was renamed and is known as Suleman Dawood Business School. After the construction of current campus, LUMS started undergraduate programmes in Economics and Computer Sciences in 1994. In 1996, the School of Arts and Science was introduced to oversee the undergraduate programmes.
LUMS established the School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law (SHSSL) to oversee the Social Sciences, Economics and Law departments. The School of Sciences and Engineering, for the disciplines of Mathematics, Computer Science and Computer Engineering, was established in 2008.
Suleman Dawood School of Business
The Suleman Dawood School of Business was the first school established at LUMS in 1986.
Mushtaq Ahmad Gurmani School of Humanities, Social Sciences
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences consists of the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences and the Department of Economics.
- Department of Humanities and Social Science (DHSS):
DHSS offers three undergraduate programmes leading to the BSc (Honours) degree in Anthropology/Sociology, Humanities and Political Science, as well as a combined programme in Politics and Economics in conjunction with the Economics Department. Started in 1999, the Department of Humanities and Social Science is home to disciplines in the Social Science and Humanities including Anthropology and Sociology, Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology and History.
- Department of Economics:
The Economics Department offers a four-year undergraduate programme in Economics (first class graduated in 1997) as well as a master's programme in Economics (first class graduated in 2002). Economics is one of the most popular majors at the Uniudent body is enrolled in Economics either as a major, a joint degree programme or as a minor.
Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering
The LUMS School of Science and Engineering (SSE) is a new school within LUMS with undergraduate programs in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Physics; and graduate programs in Computer Science and Mathematics. Additional engineering programs will be added in the future. Taha Ahmed (Taha Bhai) was the founding Dean of the school. He fired the management committee of the university just six months after the beginning of the school. Ahmed Nayyar Hassan, formerly a Professor of EMT at the school, was the next dean, assuming office from 1 November 2011 till 2016 when he resigned under controversial circumstances.
Shaikh Ahmad Hassan School of Law
- Department of Law and Policy:
The groundbreaking ceremony of LUMS' fourth school, Shaikh Ahmad Hassan School of Law (SAHSOL) took place on Saturday, April 5, 2014 on campus. The chief guest of the ceremony was the Honorable Chief Justice of Pakistan, Justice Tassaduq Hussain Jillani. The law school has been named after (Late) Shaikh Ahmad Hassan who had dedicated his life to educational excellence and public service. The establishment of SAHSOL has grown out of the LUMS Department of Law and Policy, which has been functioning since 2004, offers a 5-year joint BA-LL.B undergraduate programme, accredited by the Pakistan Bar Council. The number of graduates of the school as of June 2013 were 93 and 221 were currently enrolled in the BA-LL.B programme.
LUMS now has 170 full-time faculty. Faculty members include:
- Amer Iqbal, theoretical physicist, known for his work on string theory and supersymmetric gauge theories.
- Arif Zaman, a statistician and mathematician, known for his work on statistics and computer science.
- Shahryar Khan, Adjunct Faculty, International Relations
- S. Azmat Hassan, Adjunct Faculty, International Relations
Research at LUMS
The Suleman Dawood School of Business has produced more than 600 case studies and has published one of Asia's leading case research journals. Case studies written at LUMS are now used in universities across the world, including MBA programs in other Pakistani universities. In 2011, a case study written by LUMS Professors Shazib Shaikh and Zahoor Hassan won the Ruth Greene Memorial Award of the North American Case Research Association (NACRA)for the best case written outside North America. The LUMS School of Science and Engineering has published in international journals in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. In 2011 Professor Basit Yameen of the LUMS School of Science and Engineering won the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship for his work on pi-conjugated polymers.
Technology for People Initiative
Technology for People Initiative (TPI) is technology and design nonprofit centre at the Lahore University of Management Sciences in Lahore, Pakistan. It is focused on solving governance problems in the public sector through design thinking, prototyping and iteration. TPI's past and ongoing projects include evidence based policing for Lahore Police, CourtBeat for judicial courts, mapping rural Pakistan and the award-winning Bahawalpur Service Delivery Unit. The centre was founded in April 2012 with a seed grant from Google.org.
Rausing Executive Development Centre, Lahore University of Management Sciences
REDC Strategically placed under the aegis of the Suleman Dawood School of Business at LUMS, Rausing Executive Development Centre has been pioneering executive education in Pakistan with excellence and academic rigor that is directed at making every executive’s experience a valuable one. Housed in a purpose built facility, Rausing Executive Development Centre is modeled on structure of some of the leading executive education centers from around the globe. From 3 programmes in 1989, REDC now lists over 21 programmes in its annual calendar for Open Programmes and conducts over 70 programmes every year inclusive of customized programmes.
The Lahore University of Management Sciences library provides services that include loans, online information searching, reference services, inter-library loan, document delivery, photocopying, viewing of audiovisual and microfilm materials, access to virtual collections and digital resources, CD-ROM and online searching. It has a collection of 350,000 volumes, 128,000 e-books and 35,000 e-Journals.
- Lums photographic society
- Random Walk Economics Society
- Dramaline: Dramatics Society at LUMS
- LUMS Adventure Society (LAS)
- LUMS Community Service Society (LCSS)
- Alpha Society
- LUMS Daily Student (Journalism Society)
- Amnesty International - LUMS chapter
- ACM - LUMS Student Chapter
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - LUMS Student Chapter
- LUMS Media Arts Society
- LUMS Model United Nations
- Pakistan Students Association International - LUMS Chapter
- SLUMS (Sports at Lums)
- Literaty Pakistan
- The Music Society of Lums
- Law and Politics Society
- Lums Environmental Action Forum
- Lums Media Arts Society
- LUMS Entrepreneurial Society
- LUMS Gaming Association
- LUMS Math Society
Some forms of financial assistance available to LUMS students are as follows:
Granted to graduate programs with good academic performance and need for financial aid, the LUMS loan scheme covers 20%-100% of the tuition fee component of the student. LUMS loans are interest free.
National Outreach Programme
LUMS has launched a National Outreach Programme to reach out to bright students from underprivileged areas of Pakistan. Under this initiative, induction of selected candidates into the academic programs will be facilitated by preparation for the University’s admission criteria and then by provision of full financial assistance to those who qualify. Many students are admitted in LUMS on the basis of NOP. There are also a number of scholarships which are offered on need/academic achievement basis. A preliminary evaluation test is used to screen bright students from the underprivileged areas of Pakistan, which are then given training at LUMS for the common admission test.
Notable alumni include:
- Hina Rabbani Khar - former Foreign Minister of Pakistan, Former Member of the National Assembly of Pakistan
- Umar Saif - Chairman PITB Pakistan
- Bilal Khan, singer
- Afia Nathaniel, Film Director
- Bilal Lashari, Director of hit movie Waar
- Google maps. "Address of LUMS". Google maps. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- LUMS University Press. "History of LUMS". LUMS University Press. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "ACU members". ACU UK. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- LUMS Ranked Second in Pakistan in the QS World University Rankings 2014
- Here’s how 6 Pakistani universities ranked worldwide
- Ghani, Asma (11 September 2013). "3 Pakistani varsities ranked among world’s top 700". The Nation, Pakistan. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "HEC Rankings". 23 February 2012. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- Naeem, Waqas (5 July 2013). "quaid-e-azam-university-secures-top-slot-in-hec-university-rankings". Express Tribune. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- LUMS News (9 July 2013). "LUMS Tops Again in Business Education in the HEC Rankings". LUMS News. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- B-Schools Granted SAQS Accreditation
- "The Tribune – Magazine section – Saturday Extra". Tribuneindia.com. 24 March 2007. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Lahore University of Management Sciences and Art (LUMS)". Hss.lums.edu.pk. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Lums Sse | About Sse". Sse.lums.edu.pk. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- http://tribune.com.pk/story/366699/mapping-pakistan-lums-and-google-launch-tech-for-people-initiative/ April 2012
-  Archived 14 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- [dead link]
-  Archived 13 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- Sheikh, Shahzaib. "Bilal Khan talks about his acting stint,Lux Style Awards and new album". The News: Instep Today. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "LUMS Alumna Afia Nathaniel's Film 'Dukhtar' Premieres at TIFF". Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Official website
- LUMS University Admission
- Lahore University of Management Sciences - Campus Radio
- LUMS Review - alumni news
- LUMS Alumni Association of North America