Lahore Zoo Safari
The Woodland Wildlife Park was established in 1982 over 242 acres (98 ha) as a government funded public facility. In 1998, it was handed over to the Punjab Wildlife and Parks Department (PWPD) by the Forest Department. In 2004, the largest walkthrough aviary of Pakistan was constructed in Woodland Wildlife Park and opened to public visitors. Boating and fishing facilities were also built near a lake. In 2006, Government of Pakistan sanctioned 87 million Pakistani rupees to reconstruct the 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) road leading to the wildlife park. This development increased the accessibility to the facility.
The Government of Pakistan turned management of the wildlife park over to the Zoo Maintenance Committee (ZMC) headed by the Chairman of the PW PD. Vice-chairman Taqeer Shah said this transfer of control was due to poor previous management that was not working to improve the park. A ticket system was introduced in the wildlife park so that the Lahore Zoo Safari could come a semi-autonomous, self-financed organization. The park was extensively renovated and renamed Lahore Zoo Safari on January 21, 2009. The wildlife park is now considered to be an extension of Lahore Zoo.
The species housed here include Indian peafowl, Bengal tiger, common pheasant, emu, lion, mute swan, nilgai, ostrich and silver pheasant among a few others. Largest walkthrough aviary of Pakistan is located in the Lahore Zoo Safari. Boating and fishing facilities have been developed near a lake. The lake is the biggest in the city, complete with four islands. There are also safari tracks in the lion and Bengal tiger areas, covering an area of 80 acres (32 ha). It has been recently renamed as Lahore Safari Zoo.
In October 2006, a female Bengal tiger killed another female while in January 2007, a male killed another male. In June 2008, a Bengal tiger attacked a guard within the park. The jugular vein of the victim was ruptured causing blood loss and unconsciousness. The guard was taken to Jinnah Hospital for surgery. The aggressive nature of these animals have been brought to question. Officials stated that it was the first time that had happened and also admitted that the lower staff was being irresponsible about their duties.
- List of parks and gardens in Lahore
- List of parks and gardens in Pakistan
- List of parks and gardens in Karachi
- Karachi Safari Park
- Ahmed, Shoaib (June 26, 2004). "Woodland Wildlife Park: Take a walk on the wild side". dailytimes.com.pk. Lahore: Daily Times, Pakistan. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- Ahmed, Shoaib (October 6, 2006). "Lahore Wildlife Park opening to public next month". dailytimes.com.pk. Lahore: Daily Times, Pakistan. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- "Lahore Zoo Safari Introduction". lahorezoo.com.pk. Lahore: Lahore Zoo. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- Ahmed, Shoaib (July 25, 2009). "Zoo Safari has not much to offer". dawn.com. Lahore: Dawn Media Group. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
- Sarfraz, Emanuel (June 16, 2008). "Bengal tiger mauls Wildlife Park guard". nation.com.pk. Lahore: The Nation, Pakistan. Retrieved December 19, 2010.
Media related to Lahore Zoo Safari at Wikimedia Commons