Lahti Symphony Orchestra
The Lahti Symphony Orchestra (Sinfonia Lahti) is a Finnish orchestra, based in the city of Lahti. The orchestra is resident at the Sibelius Hall. The orchestra was founded in 1910, and placed under the control of the Lahti municipality in 1949.
Past chief conductors of the orchestra have included Ulf Söderblom (1985-1988). Osmo Vänskä became principal guest conductor of the orchestra in 1985, and chief conductor in 1988. During his tenure, he and the orchestra have achieved wide acclaim, particularly with performances and recordings of Sibelius. Other recordings by Vänskä and the orchestra include music of Robert Kajanus and Einojuhani Rautavaara. Vänskä concluded his tenure as Chief Conductor in 2008 and became Conductor Laureate of the orchestra.
Jukka-Pekka Saraste served as artistic advisor to the orchestra from August 2008 to July 2011. In April 2009, the orchestra announced the appointment of Okko Kamu as its next chief conductor, as of the autumn of 2011, after the conclusion of Saraste's tenure as artistic advisor. Kamu's initial contract was through the spring of 2014. In November 2012, the orchestra announced the extension of Kamu's contract through the end of July 2016, at which time Kamu concluded his tenure as principal conductor.
In August 2015, the orchestra announced the appointment of Dima Slobodeniouk as its next principal conductor, effective in the autumn of 2016, with an initial contract of 3 seasons. In April 2018, the orchestra announced the extension of Slobodeniouk's contract with the orchestra through 31 July 2021.
Kalevi Aho was appointed composer-in-residence for the orchestra in 1992, and the orchestra has recorded many of his recent works.
- Martti Similä (1951-1957)
- Urpo Pesonen (1959-1978)
- Jouko Saari (1978-1984)
- Ulf Söderblom (1985-1988)
- Osmo Vänskä (1988-2008)
- Okko Kamu (2011-2016)
- Dima Slobodeniouk (2016-present)
- Jukka-Pekka Saraste (2008-2011)
- Andrew Clements (2003-05-23). "Sibelius: The Oceanides; Fragments from a Suite for Orchestra; Cassazione etc: Lahti Symphony/ Vanska". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Andrew Clements (2007-03-16). "Sibelius: The Origin of Fire; Rakastava; Sandels; etc, Hakala/ Nyman/ YL Male Voice Choir/ Lahti SO/ Vanska". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Andrew Clements (2007-10-26). "Sibelius Edition Vol 1: Tone Poems, Lahti SO/ Vanska/ Gothenburg SO/ Jarvi". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Andrew Clements (2004-06-18). "Kajanus: Finnish Rhapsody; Kullervo's Funeral March; Sinfonietta; Aino: Lahti Symphony/ Vanska". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Andrew Clements (2004-07-23). "Rautavaara: Violin Concerto; Symphony No 8: Kuusisto/ Lahti Symphony/ Vänskä". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "Okko Kamu to be principal conductor of the Lahti Symphony Orchestra from the autumn of 2011" (Press release). Sinfonia Lahti. 28 April 2009. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "Okko Kamu to continue as principal conductor of the Lahti Symphony Orchestra until 2016" (Press release). Sinfonia Lahti. 19 November 2012. Archived from the original on 26 April 2014. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- "Dima Slobodeniouk has been appointed as Principal Conductor of the Lahti Symphony Orchestra, starting in autumn 2016" (Press release). Sinfonia Lahti. 17 August 2015. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Slobodeniouk continues as principal conductor of the Lahti Symphony Orchestra" (Press release). Lahti Symphony Orchestra. 25 April 2018. Retrieved 2018-05-26.