Laidback Luke performing in August 2012
|Birth name||Lucas Cornelis van Scheppingen|
|Also known as||LBL, Laidback Luke|
22 October 1976|
|Genres||Electro house, dance, house, progressive house, Dutch house, techno|
|Occupation(s)||DJ, producer, remixer, martial artist|
|Instruments||Keyboard, software (FL Studio, Ableton Live)|
|Labels||Mixmash Records, Spinnin' Records|
|Associated acts||Afrojack, Sander van Doorn, Steve Aoki, Lil Jon, Angger Dimas, Tocadisco, Nicky Romero, David Guetta, Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso, Axwell, Junior Sanchez, Sidney Samson, Robyn, Avicii, Jonathan Mendelsohn, Kaskade, Sirah, Example, Benny Benassi, Congorock, Patrick Alavi, The Bloody Beetroots, Hardwell, DJ Gina Turner, Martin Solveig|
Lucas Cornelis van Scheppingen (born 22 October 1976), better known under his stage name Laidback Luke, is a Dutch DJ and music producer from Hoofddorp, North Holland. Born in Manila, Philippines, he is also a martial artist. He notably remixed the Robin S. song, "Show Me Love" which charted at #11 on the UK charts in 2009.
Van Scheppingen was born to a Dutch father and Filipino mother in Manila and grew up in Hoofddorp, Netherlands together with his younger brother. He has worked with artists such as David Guetta, Steve Angello, the percussionist Nebat Drums, Sebastian Ingrosso, Axwell, Example and Junior Sanchez and played throughout Europe and North America as well as shows in Japan and Ibiza. He has released three studio albums: Psyched Up (1998), Electronic Satisfaction (2002), Cream Ibiza Super You & Me (2011) as well as a mix album, Windmill Skill (2003). In 2003, van Scheppingen did a remix of the Daft Punk song "Crescendolls" for the duo's remix album Daft Club. Luke has released his own mix album, titled Ibiza Closing Party, as a free covermount CD in the October 2008 issue of Mixmag.
In 2012, Laidback Luke was nominated for the best European DJ award from the 27th Dance Music Awards. Luke was one half of Nouveau Yorican, a musical side project with Gina Turner. He appeared in the 2016 Grammy-nominated documentary film about American DJ and producer Steve Aoki, titled I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.
After a first marriage, he announced on the maiden voyage of Holy Ship! that he was engaged to American DJ Gina Turner and they married on October 1, 2012 at The View, Piermont, New York. In 2014, their daughter Evalina was born. In 2017, he announced his separation from Turner.
In March 2018, he was featured on the cover of Men’s Health NL, and talked about his kung fu career.
- Electronic Satisfaction (2002)
- Focus (2015)
- "Laidback Luke Talks Kung Fu, Techno, Vlogging, & More!". EDM Identity. 2017-05-15. Retrieved 2017-08-06.
- Klijn, Mirla. "My son the DJ - Afl. 12: Laidback Luke | Documentairenet.nl". www.documentairenet.nl. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- "Laidback Luke on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- "Laidback Luke Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- "Steve Aoki 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead' Documentary Hits Netflix | The Nocturnal Times". www.thenocturnaltimes.com. Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- "Laidback Luke 101". YouTube. 2012-06-14. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Laidback Luke Gets Engaged to Gina Turner | Digilove". Digi10ve.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Here's Why Laidback Luke's 1-Year-Old Is A True 'Ultra Baby'". MTV News. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- Laidback Luke (2017-08-04), 4:54 - "Sadly enough Gina Turner and I just split up" / My top 10 DJ's & Producers, retrieved 2017-08-07
- "Laidback Luke is competing in Kung Fu World Championships in March". DJMag.com. 2017-02-01. Retrieved 2017-08-06.
- "Exclusive Interview with World Class Producer & Kung-Fu Fighter Laidback Luke". viralbpm.com. Retrieved 15 May 2018.