Lakai Limited Footwear
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Founded||Torrance, California in 1999|
Lakai Footwear Limited is an American footwear company based in Torrance, California that creates shoes designed for and inspired by skateboarding. Lakai was founded by professional skateboarders and Girl Skateboards co-founders Mike Carroll and Rick Howard in 1999. Lakai Limited Footwear is part of the Crailtap Distribution along with companies Girl Skateboards, Fourstar Clothing, Royal Trucks, and Chocolate Skateboards.
Both Carroll and Howard decided that they wanted to make a contribution to the skate footwear industry by founding their own company rather than being sponsored. At the time that the Lakai idea was conceived, both riders had left their positions on the DC Shoes team roster.
Former Chocolate skateboard team member Scott Johnston was involved with the Lakai brand since the inception of the company and, as of March 2013, is the Lakai Footwear Design Director. Johnston first began design work for Lakai in 2007 and the Fully Flared video became an unofficial end point to his professional skateboarding career. Johnston told ESPN: "... that was my plan, to end on a good note and not bleed this career dry the way some guys do by not letting it go. Skating was so good to me, and I want to be good to it and not be one of those guys that won't go away. I still skate, I don't need to get paid for it, though."
2013 Howard Lakai shoe
In March 2013, Howard and Johnston conducted a video interview with the Active mail order company's YouTube channel, explaining the innovation of Howard signature model shoe that had been manufactured with a cup sole, as opposed to the vulcanized sole that Howard had preferred over the preceding five years. Howard explained that Johnston had managed to design a cup sole akin to a vulcanized sole, in addition to other technical aspects, and had therefore proceeded with the release of the design. Johnston stated in a March 2013 interview for the Independent Truck Company that the shoe design was his favorite Lakai design since working for the company.
As of September 2014, the company promotes three specific technological features of its skate shoes under the overall title of "XLK". According to Lakai's website, the technology will "provide the increased structural integrity of a cup sole while reducing overall sole weight by sculpting sidewalls and minimizing rubber in areas where it is not needed." The three features are: "XLK Sole Construction," "High Density Foam," and "Sculpted Sidewalls."
Similar to the other brands distributed by Girl, Lakai has received a considerable level of attention for its video productions, especially during the production phase of the company's first full-length video, Fully Flared. Professional skateboarder, Anthony Pappalardo, who filmed a video part for Fully Flared, later stated in an online interview that he believes that it was the most-watched skateboard film of its decade. 
- Mike Carroll
- Marc Johnson
- Rick Howard
- Jesus Fernandez
- JB Gillet
- Danny Brady
- Nick Jensen
- Stevie Perez
- Raven Tershy
- Vincent Alvarez
- Riley Hawk
- Daniel Espinoza
- Hilarry John
- Jon Sciano
- Sebo Walker
- Elvin Mar
The Lakai video Fully Flared received the "Best Video Award" at the 10th Transworld Skateboarding Awards, an event produced by the TransWorld SKATEboarding publication.
- The Red Flare Tour (2006)
- EMB Carroll (2007)
- Fully Flared (2007)
- The Final Flare! (2008)
- Fully Trippin' in Malaga (2008)
- Voltage (2010)
- Am I Am (2010)
- 2010 Video Collection (2010)
- "Links". Chocolate Skateboards. Chocolate Skateboards. 2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- Kevin Wilkins (11 July 2000). "INDUSTRY NEWS Girl Distribution". Internet Wayback Archive Machine Machine. Internet Wayback Archive Machine. Archived from the original on 11 March 2007. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- Noah Johnson (28 October 2009). "Tricks to Kicks". ESPN Action Sports. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- Mike (18 February 2010). "Scott Johnston Named Footwear Design Director For Lakai". Lat34.com. Lat34.com. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- activemailorder2000 (6 March 2013). "Rick Howard & Scott Johnston review the Lakai Howard Shoe - Active Ride ..." (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- IndependentTrucks (16 March 2013). "5&5 with Scott Johnston" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Tech". Lakai Limited Footwear. Lakai Limited Footwear. 10 September 2014. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Anthony Pappalardo". 48 Blocks. 48 Blocks. 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Lakai - Australia Tour 2001". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Lakai - Beware Of The Flare". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Lakai - Fully Flared". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Lakai - The Final Flare!". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- Lakai Limited Footwear (2013). "Team". Lakai Limited Footwear. Lakai Limited Footwear. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- GREG (14 June 2008). "Guy Mariano Dominates 10th Annual Transworld SKATEboarding Awards". lat34. WordPress. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Lakai - The Red Flare Tour". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Lakai - EMB Carroll". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Lakai - Fully Trippin' in Malaga". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Lakai - Am I Am". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Lakai - 2010 Video Collection". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 2 March 2013.