Lake-Lehman Junior/Senior High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Lake Lehman Junior Senior High School|
Entrance and gymnasium seen from the corner of Hillside Road and Mountain View Drive
|Lehman Township, Pennsylvania, Luzerne County|
Lake Lehman Junior Senior High School in Lehman Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania was created by the merger of a Middle Level Educational Building, which provided an education from grades seven to eight, and a high school, which did the same for grades nine to twelve. The two schools were combined in 2003. The school is located in a rural setting.
Most classes consist of 30 or fewer students. Basic classes are offered for everyone, but the school also offers advanced courses, and Advanced Placement classes for college preparation.
The school has many students in the National Honor Society and the National Junior Honor Society. Many students also participate in the National History Day Program, Science Olympiad, and JETS academic contests. Clubs include a community-service-based group, called Key Club, and a Seinfeld Club. Organizations such as Peer Helpers are composed of students who are role-model material and go through training in order to help peers in the school with problems.
Lake-Lehman's wrestling team has won numerous PIAA District 2 championships, 3 PIAA Northeast Regional Championships and a PIAA State Championship. Lake-Lehman has crowned 5 individual PIAA state wrestling champions (as recently as 2007) as well as numerous state medalists. The Girls field hockey team has won numerous PIAA District 2 championships and 2 PIAA State Championships. Lake-Lehman boys volleyball teams have won 22 Wyoming Valley Conference titles and 19 PIAA District 2 championships. Lake-Lehman has 5 state champions in Track and Field. The school has also crowned 2 PIAA Cross Country State Champions
The senior class raises money through sales of nutritional food during refreshment break. The senior trip to Washington D.C. is held in the spring. The class visits many monuments and buildings including the Smithsonian, the White House, Mt. Vernon, and the Arlington Cemetery.
- Major hazing incident in September 2003 
- Episode of MTV's Made featuring Angie Nice filmed and aired nationally in the fall of 2003. In this episode, Angie wanted to overcome her stage fright and become involved in the school play.
- 16-year-old junior Justine Martin was killed in an automobile accident on January 30, 2008.
- Brian Kelly - Former Professional Soccer Player 
- Raye Hollitt - Actress, female bodybuilder, and a former American Gladiator cast member.
- Jay McCarroll - Fashion designer who won the reality show Project Runway in 2005
- Rick Bonomo - 3 Time NCAA D1 Wrestling Champ at Bloomsburg University 
- Cody Lee (Rambo Lee)-former Lake-Lehman student who gunned down his grandfather while in their Harvey's Lake home. He is currently serving a 25 year prison sentence.