Lake Central High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Lake Central High School|
8400 Wicker Avenue (High School)
8410 Wicker Avenue (Freshmen Center)
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Lake Central School Corporation|
|Student to teacher ratio||20.54|
|Fight song||"Fighting Indians"|
|Athletics conference||Duneland Athletic Conference|
|Rivals||Munster High School|
Crown Point High School
Merrillville High School
|Feeder schools||Clark Middle School|
Grimmer Middle School
Kahler Middle School
Lake Central High School (LCHS) is a high school in St. John, Indiana, for students in grades nine through twelve. Its students come from St. John Township which includes the towns of St. John and Dyer (north of 101st Ave), the entire town of Schererville, unincorporated Crown Point (north of 101st Ave), and the southeastern section of Griffith that is within St. John Township. It is the only high school in the Lake Central School Corporation.
The school opened in 1967. It includes an attached freshmen wing (Freshmen Center) which opened in 1994. The current high school succeeded Dyer Central High School. The Dyer Central Building became the building for Kahler Middle School which is still part of the Lake Central School Corporation. The Dyer Central building was demolished in 1993–94 as part of renovations made to Kahler Middle school.
Some Lake Central students and faculty were the subject of an October 20, 2012, Wall Street Journal front-page article on their collective work to track down and document Indiana's battle casualties. A similar story appeared during the CBS Evening News in 2013 showing teacher and students working on their Hero Project. The principal of Lake Central High School is Sean Begley.
Lake Central offers its students numerous Advanced Placement and Dual Credit courses in order for students to earn college credit hours. Lake Central is a state-accredited school and offers its students three different potential diplomas (Core 40, Core 40 with Academic Honors, and Core 40 with Technical Honors).
The demographic breakdown of the 3,233 students enrolled for the 2015-2016 school year was:
- American Indian - 0.6%
- Asian - 3.3%
- Black - 6.2%
- Hispanic - 13%
- Multiracial - 3.6%
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander - 0.1%
- White - 73.2%
In addition, 17.3% of the students qualified for free or reduced lunch.
Lake Central High School underwent many renovations from 2011-2016. In November 2011, voters of the Tri-Town community passed a building referendum to renovate and rebuild the school. The referendum, in which Lake Central and the district's Protsman Elementary School was renovated and rebuilt, was for $160,000,000. All academic areas of the school were rebuilt or improved, followed by fine arts and many new athletic facilities to help bring the school up to modern standards. This renovation was the first major and most recent renovation to the school, which opened its doors in 1967.
Lake Central is a member of the Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) and the Duneland Athletic Conference (DAC), and offers its students twenty different school-sanctioned sports. The nickname for Lake Central's athletic teams is the "Indians." The school has won seven IHSAA State Championships. These championships include: 1987 Boys' Swimming, 1992 Softball, 1994 Girls' Basketball, 2002 Softball, 2004 Softball, 2010 Boys' Soccer, and 2012 Baseball.
- Boys' Cross Country
- Girls' Cross Country
- Girls' Golf
- Boys' Soccer
- Girls' Soccer
- Boys' Tennis
- Boys' Basketball
- Girls' Basketball
- Girls' Gymnastics
- Boys' Hockey
- Boys' Swimming
- Girls' Swimming
- Boys' Golf
- Boys' Track and Field
- Girls' Track and Field
- Girls' Tennis
- Eric Gehrig – Current MLS defender playing for the Chicago Fire. Former player for the Columbus Crew
- Rob Mackowiak – Former MLB utility player for the Washington Nationals, San Diego Padres, Chicago White Sox and Pittsburgh Pirates
- Bobby Pesavento – Former Arena Football League quarterback for the Austin Wranglers and Colorado Crush
- Glenn Robinson III – Current NBA player for the Indiana Pacers. Former teams include the Philadelphia 76ers and the Minnesota Timberwolves
- Jared Tomich – Former defensive end for the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team. Formerly played in the NFL for the New Orleans Saints and Green Bay Packers
- Al Pilarcik - Former MLB outfielder for the Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles and Kansas City Athletics. Additionally, Pilarcik served as a faculty member at Lake Central High School for 33 years, retiring in 2001.
- Albab Uddin - The "perfect" student who was known to have graduated with a 36 ACT score and a 1580 SAT score along with a ~4.8 GPA; nicknamed the G.O.A.T.
- "IDOE: Compass". in.gov. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Phillips, Michael (20 October 2012). "Soldiers Lost and Found: Students Rediscover the Fallen". Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Co. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- Doane, Seth (21 February 2013). "Indiana students learn an invaluable history lesson". CBS News. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- Masters, Jim (1 June 2015). "Begley promoted to Lake Central High principal". Northwest Indiana Times. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- Murzyn, Louisa (8 November 2011). "Lake Central school referendum passes". Northwest Indiana Times. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Alfred Pilarcik Obituary - Schererville, IN - The Times". The Times. Retrieved 10 June 2015.