Lake Grove, New York
|Lake Grove, New York|
|Incorporated Village of Lake Grove|
U.S. Census Map
|• Mayor||Robert Scottaline|
|• Total||3.0 sq mi (7.7 km2)|
|• Land||3.0 sq mi (7.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||118 ft (36 m)|
|• Density||3,436.8/sq mi (1,327.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||631, 934|
|GNIS feature ID||0954916 |
Lake Grove is a village in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 11,163 at the 2010 census. The village is located in the town of Brookhaven. The village is officially known as the Incorporated Village of Lake Grove.
Lake Grove is a popular commercial area in Suffolk County, including stores and attractions such as the Smith Haven Mall, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and other large chain stores including DSW. Additional stores and attractions are located nearby in Nesconset, Stony Brook and South Setauket.
The village features a number of different styles and prices of housing, including many well-maintained developments such as Crestwood Forest, Lake Grove Estates, Country Pointe, The Pines, Brittany Hills, and Country Woods. The village also has a number of parks, recreational facilities, and a nature preserve for residents to enjoy.
Some areas within the Lake Grove zip code, such as the Hathaway Oaks development and parts of the Brittany Hills development, are actually located in the unincorporated hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma within the towns of Brookhaven and Smithtown.
- See also New York Travel Guide
The area of Lake Grove was settled in the early 18th century along Middle Country Road, which was then part of the Old Kings Highway, originally a Native American footpath. The community's first church building, built in 1818, was the First Congregational Church of New Village. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002, the building has been preserved and is depicted on the village seal. In 1870, Lake Grove established its first post office, which carried the mail to and from Lakeland station (discontinued in 1883) by horse and wagon. The area was variously called Lakeland, Lakeville, New Village, Ronkonkoma or West Middle Island until it settled on the name Lake Grove in mid-19th century, after the groves of trees near Lake Ronkonkoma.
During the early 20th century Lake Ronkonkoma became a popular area for recreation, which prompted many small summer houses built on private roads of Lake Grove. In 1921, a new post office was erected in the eastern part of the area and given the name of Centereach. The next significant housing development built in Lake Grove was called Brook Lawn and was located on Stony Brook Road, which later grew into Stony Brook. More developments followed and the population of Lake Grove increased rapidly. In 1954, newly built Nesconset Highway created a major commercial crossroad in Lake Grove, which prompted the construction of the Smith Haven Mall in 1968, which made the local residents become concerned about the impact of new businesses and increased traffic in their community. In order to gain local control of the zoning and planning, Lake Grove was incorporated by a vote of 552 to 332 on September 9, 1968.
- 1968–1981: Alex Pisciotta (1898–1985)
- 1981–1995: Lillian Griffin (1939–2004)
- 1995–2001: Robert J. Henke
- 2001–2006: Scott D. Middleton
- 2006 – present[update]: Robert J. Scottaline
- Arthur Holmes Howell (May 3, 1872 – July 10, 1940) Chairman of the American Society of Mammalogists, teacher of Luther Goldman
- Alycia Lane, television journalist
- Jon Bellion, Singer-songwriter, record producer, rapper
Lake Grove is located at United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 3.0 square miles (7.8 km2), all of it land.. According to the
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,250 people, 3,419 households, and 2,742 families residing in the village. The population density was 3,436.8 people per square mile (1,328.0/km²). There were 3,509 housing units at an average density of 1,176.6 per square mile (454.6/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 91.31% White, 1.44% African American, 0.09% Native American, 4.93% Asian, 1.00% from other races, and 1.24% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.84% of the population.
There were 3,419 households out of which 38.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.8% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.8% were non-families. 14.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.98 and the average family size was 3.31.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 34.7% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 9.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 98.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $67,174, and the median income for a family was $73,065. Males had a median income of $53,113 versus $33,253 for females. The per capita income for the village was $26,321. About 2.5% of families and 5.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.8% of those under age 18 and 3.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "Lake Grove". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- About The Village - Official website.
- About Lake Grove — Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate.
- Alex Pisciotta manuscript collection — Stony Brook Special Collections & Archives
- The Dearly Departed, Class of '04; Lillian Griffin — Safeguarding Lake Grove's Character — The New York Times, December 26, 2004
- Scott Middleton — Incorporated Village of Lake Grove
- Mayor Scottaline — Incorporated Village of Lake Grove
- Viola S. Schantz (November 1940). "Arthur Holmes Howell (1872 to 1940)". Journal of Mammalogy (American Society of Mammalogists) 21 (4): 385–388. doi:10.2307/1374872. JSTOR 1374872.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Village of Lake Grove official website
- Lake Grove, New York is at coordinates .