Lake Hamilton, Florida
|Lake Hamilton, Florida|
Location in Polk County and the state of Florida
|• Total||4.12 sq mi (10.68 km2)|
|• Land||3.14 sq mi (8.13 km2)|
|• Water||0.98 sq mi (2.55 km2)|
|Elevation||148 ft (45 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||1,382|
|• Density||440.13/sq mi (169.96/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0285246|
Lake Hamilton is a town in Polk County, Florida, United States. The population was 1,304 at the 2000 census. As of 2004, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 1,406 1. It is part of the Lakeland–Winter Haven Metropolitan Statistical Area. From 1964 through the 1970s, Hurricane Aircats, military airboats used by the US Army in Vietnam, were manufactured in Lake Hamilton. The airboats were made by Hurricane Fiberglass Products Company, an airboat and fiberglass manufacturer based in the neighboring town of Auburndale.
Lake Hamilton is located at (28.046561, -81.622229).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.9 square miles (10 km2), of which 3.0 square miles (7.8 km2) is land and 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) (22.51%) is water.
The dominant geographic feature in the city is the large lake after which the city is named. Lake Hamilton is part of the Chain of Lakes. The lake has a surface area of 2,184 acres (8,840,000 m2) and an average depth of 7.2 feet (2.2 m).
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,304 people, 482 households, and 362 families residing in the town. The population density was 430.0 inhabitants per square mile (166.2/km²). There were 535 housing units at an average density of 176.4 per square mile (68.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 71.09% White, 25.15% African American, 0.46% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 2.30% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.06% of the population.
There were 482 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 17.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.7% were non-families. 21.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the town, the population was spread out with 27.1% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 14.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $33,438, and the median income for a family was $38,050. Males had a median income of $28,281 versus $21,833 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,199. About 13.3% of families and 21.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 40.5% of those under age 18 and 5.6% of those age 65 or over.
- State Road 17 - The Scenic Highway going through the center of town, paralleling US 27 and leading southward to downtown Dundee and Lake Wales
- US 27 - Located just west of town, this divided highway leads to Lake Wales and Haines City.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 7, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Aircat...Year 'Round!. Lake Hamilton, Florida: Hurricane Fiberglass Products Corp. May 1972. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "World Map of the Köppen-Geiger climate classification updated". University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna. 2008-11-06. Archived from the original on 2010-09-06. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- polk county water atlas http://www.polk.wateratlas.usf.edu/lake/?wbodyatlas=lake&wbodyid=160497
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lake Hamilton, Florida.|
- Lake Hamilton Town website