Lake Helen, Florida
- For the high-altitude lake in Lassen Volcanic National Park, see Lake Helen (Lassen Peak).
Lake Helen, Florida
the Gem of Florida
|• Type||Municipal Government|
|• Mayor||Daisy Raisler (politician)|
|• Commissioner Zone 1||Kelly Frasca (politician)|
|• Commissioner Zone 2||Roger Eckert (politician)|
|• Commissioner Zone 3||Rick Basso (politician)|
|• Commissioner Zone 4||James Connell (politician)|
|• Total||4.72 sq mi (12.23 km2)|
|• Land||4.55 sq mi (11.80 km2)|
|• Water||0.17 sq mi (0.43 km2)|
|Elevation||66 ft (20 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||614.93/sq mi (237.43/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0285248|
Lake Helen is located at (28.983463, -81.232870).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.6 square miles (11.8 km2), of which 4.4 square miles (11.5 km2) is land and 0.12 square miles (0.3 km2) (2.82%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,743 people, 1,124 households, and 774 families residing in the city. The population density was 650.1 inhabitants per square mile (251.0/km2). There were 1,204 housing units at an average density of 285.3 per square mile (110.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 87.02% White, 10.68% African American, 0.29% Native American, 0.29% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.95% from other races, and 0.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.95% of the population.
There were 1,124 households, out of which 26.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.0% were married couples living together, 12.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.1% were non-families. 25.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 22.3% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 20.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $34,577, and the median income for a family was $39,688. Males had a median income of $30,000 versus $22,774 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,158. About 7.5% of families and 9.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.4% of those under age 18 and 11.2% of those age 65 or over.
In the media
An episode of WCW Monday Nitro from February 17, 1997, featured a home movie filmed during the preceding week by NWO members Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and Syxx. In the video the three are driving through Lake Helen as the city's name appears on the side of a building that is captured on the video. The NWO members cross paths with the Steiner Brothers in their car and run them off the road.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lake Helen, Florida.|
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 2, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Lake Helen city, Florida". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 15, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Government Printing Office. pp. 179.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Lake Helen city, Florida". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 15, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "WCW: The KLIQ KILLS The Steiner Brothers". TheWCWonUtube. Retrieved December 16, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Whigham, Julius (2 March 2012). "Isiah C. Smith, Palm Beach County judge and civil rights leader, dies at 89". Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 2 May 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)