|Location||Kununurra, Western Australia|
|Primary inflows||Lake Argyle|
|Primary outflows||Ord River|
Lakes Argyle and Kununurra Ramsar Site;|
Ord Irrigation Area Important Bird Area
|Max. length||55 km (34 mi)|
|Max. width||0.4 km (0.25 mi)|
|Water volume||90 GL (3.2×109 cu ft)|
|Surface elevation||40 m (130 ft)|
|Official name||Lakes Argyle and Kununurra|
|Designated||7 June 1990|
Lake Kununurra is a freshwater man-made reservoir located in the Ord River valley. The lake was formed in 1963 by the construction of the Ord Diversion Dam in Kununurra, northern Western Australia, which was built to supply water to the Ord River Irrigation Area. Prior to the Diversion Dam construction a natural permanent waterhole (or lake) held back by the Bandicoot Bar was known as "Carlton Reach," which was reputed to be the largest waterhole in the Kimberley.
The lake stretches for 55 km (34 mi) upstream from the Diversion Dam at Lake Argyle dam at . At the town of Kununurra the lake is connected to Lily Creek Lagoon. It contains Freshwater Crocodiles and 21 fish species, and is widely used for recreational fishing and boating by the residents of Kununurra and tourists. Because of the stable water levels in Lake Kununurra and its associated wetlands, it has well-developed fringing vegetation of grassland, rushes and woodland. The wetland system of the two lakes and the lagoon forms the Lakes Argyle and Kununurra Ramsar Site. In 2014 a saltwater crocodile estimated to be 3 metres (10 ft) long was spotted in the lake after bypassing dam walls. Local rangers lay baits in hopes of catching the creature.towards the larger
- "Lakes Argyle and Kununurra". Ramsar Sites Information Service. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Information Sheet on Ramsar Wetlands: Lakes Argyle and Kununurra" (PDF). Wetlands International. 1998. Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- Parke, Erin (23 July 2014). "Saltwater crocodile spotted in popular freshwater Lake Kununurra in WA's Kimberley region". ABC News. Australia. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- "Lake Kununurra". West Australian Vista. GlobeVista. 2008. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "IBA: Ord Irrigation Area". Birdata. Birds Australia. Archived from the original on 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- Doupé, Robert G.; Morgan, David L.; Gill, Howard S. (2005). "Prospects for a restorative fishery enhancement of Lake Kununurra: a high-level tropical impoundment on the Ord River, Western Australia" (PDF). Pacific Conservation Biology. 11: 136–146.
- Lakes Argyle and Kununurra Ramsar Site - map
- Kununurra Historical Society Inc. Archive, Library, Museum & Research (Links to Archive Images of Lake Kununurra)