|Type||Oligotrophic Freshwater lake|
|Primary inflows||28 creeks and rivers|
|Primary outflows||Calinawan River|
|Catchment area||87,072 ha (870.72 km2)|
|Max. length||29.10 km (18.08 mi)|
|Surface area||17,340 ha (173.40 km2)|
|Average depth||128 m (419.95 ft)|
|Max. depth||223 m (731.63 ft)|
|Water volume||18.00 km3 (4.32 cu mi)|
|Shore length1||62.10 km (38.59 mi)|
|Surface elevation||42 m (137.80 ft)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Lake Mainit is the fourth largest lake in the Philippines, having a surface area of 173.40 square kilometres (66.95 sq mi). The lake is also the deepest lake in the country with maximum depth reaching 223 metres (732 ft). It is located in the northeastern section of Mindanao and shared between the provinces of Surigao del Norte and Agusan del Norte.
Flora and fauna
- Fire orchid (Vanda hookeriana)
- Narra tree (Pterocarpus indicus)
- Molave tree (Vitex parviflora)
- Philippine rosewood or "toog"
- Malabayabas (Eucalyptus spp.)
- Indian lotus (Nelumbo nucifera)
- Mindanao scops owl
- Mindanao savanna nightjar
- Mindanao Himalayan swiftlet
- Mindanao forest kingfisher
- White-breasted sea eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster)
- Wild pigs
- "Casili" (Anguilla spp.)
- Mudfish, "hayuan" or "halwan" (Channa striata)
- Gurami (Gourami belontiidae)
- "Bolinao" (Neosthethus thessa)
- Common carp (Cyprinus carpio)
Municipalities bordering the lake
- Mainit, Surigao del Norte
- Alegria, Surigao del Norte
- Jabonga, Agusan del Norte
- Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte
Municipalities within Lake Mainit's watershed
- "Philippine Lakes - Lake Look to Lake Pandin". Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "Physical Features of Lake Mainit". Lake Mainit Development Alliance (LMDA). 8 February 2008. Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "Lake Mainit". ASEAN Regional Centre for Biodiversity Conservation (ARCBC). Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "Lake Mainit". Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "Lake Mainit". BIMP-EAGA. Archived from the original on 30 October 2008. Retrieved 17 October 2008.
- "How Mainit got its name?".
- "Municipality of Alegria". Municipality of Alegria.
- A Directory of Philippine Wetlands. Vol I, compiled by Davies, J. et al. (Asian Wetland Bureau Philippines Foundation, Inc, 1991)
- Webpage on Lake Minit (cited part available online)
- Geographic data related to Lake Mainit at OpenStreetMap
- Lake Mainit Updates
- Lake Mainit Development Alliance
- LMDA Updates
|This article about a location in Caraga region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|