Mohegan Lake, New York
Mohegan Lake, New York
St. George's Church in Mohegan Lake (2016)
Location of Mohegan Lake, New York
|Town||Cortlandt and Yorktown|
|• Total||3.1 sq mi (8.0 km2)|
|• Land||2.9 sq mi (7.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||522 ft (159 m)|
|• Density||1,900/sq mi (750/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1852903|
Lake Mohegan, commonly known as Mohegan Lake, is a census-designated place (CDP) located in the Town of Cortlandt and partially in the Town of Yorktown, both in Westchester County, New York.
Mohegan Lake was named "Lake Mohegan" in 1859 by William Jones, who owned the Mount Pleasant Hotel on the East side of the lake. The Mohegan were a tribe of Native Americans once associated with the Pequot of easternmost Connecticut, who were pushed successively west to the area of the Housatonic River during the 17th and into the 18th century. There is no indication of them ever inhabiting northern Westchester County in the vicinity of Peekskill, or any other nearby area.
The change in syntax reversing the modern community's name to "Mohegan Lake" dates back to the early 1970s before which residents commonly referred to it as "Lake Mohegan", the name still used by the United States Census Bureau for the CDP. The population in the 2010 Census was 6,010.
Mohegan Lake is located at United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.1 square miles (8.0 km2), of which 2.9 square miles (7.5 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), or 5.52%, is water.(41.318568, -73.848029). According to the
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,979 people, 1,975 households, and 1,520 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,058.4 per square mile (796.0/km2). There were 2,052 housing units at an average density of 706.5/sq mi (273.2/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 84.75% White, 6.89% African American, 0.33% Native American, 2.91% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 2.78% from other races, and 2.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or, Latino of any race were 9.70% of the population.
There were 1,975 households, out of which 43.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.2% were married couples living together, 9.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.0% were non-families. 18.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 4.7% had someone residing alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.83 and the average family size was 3.26.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 28.8% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 32.7% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 8.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $80,719, and the median income for a family was $88,903. Males had a median income of $59,219 versus $39,648 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $29,945. About 3.5% of families and 4.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.2% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- Home, Field "Mohegan Lake" in Eisenstadt, Peter R. (2005) The Encyclopedia of New York State. Syracuse, New York: Syracuse University Press. p.996. ISBN 9780815608080
- Wright, David O. "An Illustrated History of Mohegan Lake Part 1". Yorktown History.
- Wright, David O. "An Illustrated History of Mohegan Lake Part 2". Yorktown History.
- Wright, David O. "An Illustrated History of Mohegan Lake Part 3". Yorktown History.
- Prathima. "Private Beaches". health.westchestergov.com. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Mohegan Lake guide, moving to New York - StreetAdvisor". www.streetadvisor.com. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- Lake Mohegan at Google Maps
- "The Best 10 Beaches in Mohegan Lake, NY - Last Updated April 2018". Yelp. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Mohegan Lake Closed for Swimming After Reports of Harmful Algal Blooms". tapinto.net. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- Berger, Joseph (19 August 2007). "Workers' Paradise, and With a Nice View". Retrieved 1 April 2018 – via NYTimes.com.
- Brown, Betsy (March 8, 1987) "Use of Cottages for Homeless Sites Stirs Cortlandt Zoning Dispute" The New York Times
- Shatgel, Baila Round (1 April 1995). "Leftist Summer Colonies of Northern Westchester County, New York". American Jewish History. 83 (3): 337–358. JSTOR 23885514.
- Bureau, U.S. Census. "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Asset Detail: St. George's Church" National Register of Historic Places Database
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mohegan Lake, New York.|