Lake Sebu, South Cotabato
The eponymous Lake Sebu
Map of South Cotabato with Lake Sebu highlighted
|Region||SOCCSKSARGEN (Region XII)|
|District||2nd district of South Cotabato|
|• Mayor||Antonio Fungan|
|• Total||702.00 km2 (271.04 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||120/km2 (320/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)83|
|Income class||1st municipal income class|
|Electorate||33,269 voters as of 2016|
The placid lake of Lake Sebu can be found in Allah Valley near the municipality of Surallah, South Cotabato. Surrounded by rolling hills and mountains covered with thick rain forest, the lake has an area of 354 hectares (870 acres), with an elevation of approximately 1,000 metres (3,300 ft).
- Lake Lahit
- Lower Maculan
- Lake Seloton
- Upper Maculan
|Population census of Lake Sebu|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
The lake's shores and the surrounding rainforest are home to the indigenous T'bolis, Tirurays, Ubos and Manobos. One of the major tribes, the T'bolis are known for their weaving skills and brassware production as well as fishing skills. The rest of the population are made of Ilonggos, Bicolanos and Ilocanos.
The economy is based on aquaculture of Tilapia grown in large fish cages floating in the lake. More than one half of the land around the lake is cultivated for agriculture. The Philippine government is also trying to promote ecotourism in the area. The finishing of a concrete road cut the travel time from 4 hours to less than 30 minutes greatly improving trade and commerce.
Wild boars and Philippine Deer which are considered endangered live around the lake. The lake and the surrounding rainforest are natural habitat to egrets, kingfishers, swallows, herons, Philippine cockatoos and kites.
The Philippine government proclaimed a 924.5 square kilometres (357.0 sq mi) area as a protected landscape. On the south-eastern watershed of the lake, a bamboo plantation was established.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Province: South Cotabato". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
||Bagumbayan, Sultan Kudarat / Surallah|
|Sen. Ninoy Aquino, Sultan Kudarat||T'Boli|
|Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat||Maitum, Sarangani||Kiamba, Sarangani|