Lake Sharpe behind Big Bend Dam
|Location||South Dakota, |
|Primary inflows||Missouri River|
|Primary outflows||Missouri River|
|Catchment area||249,330 sq mi (645,800 km2)|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Max. length||80 miles (130 km)|
|Surface area||56,884 acres (23,020 ha)|
|Max. depth||78 ft (24 m)|
|Water volume||1,910,000 acre⋅ft (2.36 km3)|
|Shore length1||200 mi (320 km)|
|Surface elevation||1,444 ft (440 m)|
|Islands||Farm Island and La Framboise Island, near Pierre|
|Settlements||Pierre, Ft. Pierre, Ft. Thompson, and Lower Brule, South Dakota|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Lake Sharpe is a large reservoir impounded by Big Bend Dam on the Missouri River in central South Dakota, United States. The lake has an area of 56,884 acres (230.20 km2) and a maximum depth of 78 ft (24 m). Lake Sharpe is approximately 80 mi (130 km) long, with a shoreline of 200 mi (320 km). Lake Sharpe is the 54th largest reservoir in the United States. The lake starts near Ft. Thompson and stretches upstream to Oahe Dam, near Pierre. The lake is located within the following counties: Buffalo, Lyman, Hyde, Hughes, and Stanley. The Big Bend of the Missouri is about 7 miles (11 km) north of the dam.
Species of fish in the reservoir include walleye, sauger, smallmouth bass, channel catfish, flathead catfish, northern pike, white bass, yellow perch, black crappie, and rainbow trout. Walleye are the primary gamefish in the lake, and gizzard shad are the main food source for the walleye. Big game animals include whitetail and mule deer, elk, bison, coyotes and wild turkeys. Waterfowl and upland game birds include ducks, geese, pheasants, prairie chickens, and grouse.
There is over 80,000 acres of public land and water associated around Lake Sharpe. The South Dakota Department of Game, Fish, and Parks maintains several recreation areas and boat launching facilities around the lake. West Bend Recreation Area and Farm Island State Recreation Area are both located on the lake.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers maintains recreation areas and wildlife areas near Big Bend Dam, including Left Tailrace Campground.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Pick-Sloan Plan
- Lake Oahe
- Lake Francis Case
- Lewis and Clark Lake
- List of lakes in South Dakota
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Big Bend Dam / Lake Sharpe
- Lake Sharpe Recreation - recreation.gov, recreation information, camping reservations
- South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks
- Left Tailrace Recreation Area (USACE)
- West Bend Recreation Area (SD Game, Fish & Parks)
- Farm Island Recreation Area (SD Game, Fish & Parks)
- LaFramboise Island Nature Area (SD Game, Fish & Parks)
- "Lake Sharpe & Powerplant". United States Army Corps of Engineers. Archived from the original on 2001-10-13. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "Lake Sharpe". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved Jan 16, 2021.
- "Welcome to the Big Bend Project Homepage". United States Army Corps of Engineers. Archived from the original on 2010-09-01. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "2010 Lake Sharpe Fishery Projections" (PDF). South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "Location Map - West Bend Recreation Area" (PDF). South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "Farm Island Recreation Area". South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks. Retrieved 2010-04-25.