Lake Torrens National Park
|Lake Torrens National Park|
IUCN category VI (protected area with sustainable use of natural resources)
|Nearest town or city||Woomera|
|Established||19 December 1991|
|Area||5,676.68 km2 (2,191.8 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment and Water|
|Website||Lake Torrens National Park|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Lake Torrens National Park is a protected area located in South Australia about 345 kilometres (214 miles) north of the Adelaide city centre. Material published by the national park’s manager reports that:
The stark wilderness and the salt lake that stretches 250km in length make up the Lake Torrens National Park. Lake Torrens is usually a dry salt flat. It has only been filled with water once in the past 150 years. Thunderstorms occasionally provide a small amount of water in the lake, when this occurs the area attracts a variety of birdlife. The park's landscape provides opportunities for photography and studying geology.
The national park is located on land which is listed in the Directory of Important Wetlands in Australia under the name Inland Saline Lakes. The national park is classified as an IUCN Category VI protected area.
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 25 November 2014)" (PDF). Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Lake Torrens National Park". Government of South Australia]]. 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- Eyles, Kathy; Larmour, Geoff; Young, Sarah; Australia. Environment Australia; Natural Heritage Trust (Australia). National Wetlands Program (2001), A Directory of important wetlands in Australia (PDF) (3rd ed.), Environment Australia, pp. 1, 2 & 78, ISBN 978-0-642-54721-7
- "Results of search for "Inland Saline Lakes - SA065"". Commonwealth of Australia, Department of the Environment. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "CAPAD 2012 South Australia Summary (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2012. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2014.