Lake Township, Logan County, Ohio
|Lake Township, Logan County, Ohio|
Although much of Lake Township is occupied by the city of Bellefontaine, farms are found in the northern region of the township
Location of Lake Township in Ohio
Location of Lake Township in Logan County
|• Total||12.4 sq mi (32.1 km2)|
|• Land||12.4 sq mi (32.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,260 ft (384 m)|
|• Density||1,008.8/sq mi (389.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086485|
Located at the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- McArthur Township - north
- Rushcreek Township - northeast
- Jefferson Township - east
- Liberty Township - south
- Harrison Township - west
Name and history
Lake Township was organized in 1818. This township took its name from Silver Lake, which is now located in Harrison Township. Statewide, other Lake Townships are located in Ashland, Stark, and Wood counties.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
In the elections of November 2007, James Wish was elected without opposition in the election for the position of township trustee, while Bill Boy defeated Chris Dinovo in the election for the position of township fiscal officer.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Logan County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 12 May 2007.
- History of Logan County and Ohio: Containing a History of the State of Ohio, from Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time. O.L. Baskin. 1880. p. 247.
- History of Logan County and Ohio: Containing a History of the State of Ohio, from Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time. O.L. Baskin. 1880. p. 321.
- Examiner Staff, The. "Township Trustees: Township trustee results", Bellefontaine Examiner, 2007-11-07, p. 2.
- Examiner Staff, The. "Township Trustees: Township Fiscal officer", Bellefontaine Examiner, 2007-11-07, p. 2.