Lake View Cemetery (Ithaca, New York)
605 E Shore Dr, Ithaca, New York
|Find a Grave||Lake View Cemetery|
The cemetery was established in 1894. It includes an Egyptian Revival style mausoleum / receiving vault, a distinctive serpentine road system and architectural works by William Henry Miller and Liberty Hyde Bailey.
Lake View was hit hard by a series of embezzlement scandals in the Twenty-First Century. In 2006, a groundskeeper pled guilty to stealing $87,709 from the cemetery. In 2014, a former caretaker and president of Lake View Cemetery was charged with embezzling over $50,000 and "selling or giving away" much of the cemetery's equipment.
Given its proximity to Cornell University, the cemetery includes a number of significant figures from the university's history, including members of the Cornell family, and the graves of faculty members.
- Liberty Hyde Bailey (1858-1954). American horticulturalist and designer.
- Ethel Zoe Bailey (1889-1983) American botanist and curator
- Juanita Breckenridge Bates (1860-1946). American suffragist and early woman ordained as a minister.
- Sophronia Bucklin (1828–1902). American Civil War nurse.
- John "Honest John" Clapp (1851-1904). Early American baseball player and manager.
- Robert Gilmour Dobie (1878-1948). American football player and record-setting coach
- Estevan Antonio Fuertes (1838-1903). Cornell astronomer and namesake of Fuertes Observatory
- Louis Agassiz Fuertes (1874-1927). American ornithologist, illustrator and artist
- James R. Houck (1940-2015). Pioneer of infrared observational astronomy
- William Henry Miller (1848-1922). American architect
- Carl Sagan (1934-1996). American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, science popularizer
- Cemetery History - Lake View Cemetery website http://lakeview-ithaca.org/cemetery-history/
- Hart, Glynis (19 March 2014). "Lakeview Cemetery Tries to Regroup After Embezzlement". ithaca.com. Retrieved 14 September 2019.