Lake Villa, Illinois
Lake Villa, Illinois
"Gateway to the Lake Region"
Location of Lake Villa in Lake County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Mayor||James McDonald|
|• Total||7.26 sq mi (18.80 km2)|
|• Land||6.45 sq mi (16.72 km2)|
|• Water||0.80 sq mi (2.08 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,360.86/sq mi (525.44/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area code(s)||847 and 224|
|Wikimedia Commons||Lake Villa, Illinois|
Lake Villa is located at (42.417546, -88.082360).
According to the 2010 census, Lake Villa has a total area of 6.994 square miles (18.11 km2), of which 6.19 square miles (16.03 km2) (or 88.5%) is land and 0.804 square miles (2.08 km2) (or 11.5%) is water.
The village lies in a gently rolling moraine landscape, dominated by lakes of glacial origin. Among these are Cedar Lake, north of the village center, and Deep Lake, to the east. There are several smaller lakes and ponds, along with a complement of wetlands. The lakes and ponds have been important in Lake Villa's historic tourist industry, and over the years led to a small ice industry.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,864 people, 2,052 households, and 1,594 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,024.4 people per square mile (395.8/km²). There were 2,135 housing units at an average density of 373.0 per square mile (144.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 92.94% White, 2.47% African American, 0.12% Native American, 1.64% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 0.89% from other races, and 1.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.09% of the population.
There were 2,052 households out of which 45.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.9% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.3% were non-families. 17.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the village, the population was spread out with 32.1% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 37.8% from 25 to 44, 18.9% from 45 to 64, and 5.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.5 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $65,078, and the median income for a family was $75,078. Males had a median income of $51,806 versus $36,961 for females. The per capita income for the village was $26,238. About 1.9% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under age 18 and 7.3% of those ages 65 or over.
- James McDonald
- Mary Konrad
- Scott Bartlett
- Tom O'Reilly
- Karen Harms
- Kevin Kruckeberg
- Allena Barbato
- Jeff Nielsen
Lake Villa High School Students will attend one of the following:
- Lakes Community High School in Lake Villa (grades 9-12)
- Grant Community High School in Fox Lake (grades 9-12)
- Grayslake North High School in Grayslake (grades 9-12)
- Peter J. Palombi Middle School (Grades 7-8)
- Antioch Upper Grade School (Grades 6-8)
- Olive C. Martin Elementary (Grades K-6)
- William L. Thompson Elementary Grades K-6)
- B. J. Hooper Elementary (Grades K-6)
- Oakland Elementary School (Grades 2-5)
- Hillcrest Elementary School (Grades PK-2)
- Milwaukee Avenue
- Grand Avenue
- Grass lake Road
- Petite Lake Road
- Deep Lake Road
- Fairfield Road
- Cedar Lake Road
- Monaville Road
- Old Grand Avenue
- "Village of Lake Villa, Illinois". Village of Lake Villa, Illinois. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 29, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved August 18, 2019.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Lake Villa village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Brysiewicz, Joseph W. Chicago's metropolitan fringe: Lake Villa, Illinois: the construction of multiple historical narratives. Lake Forest, Illinois: Lake Forest College, 2001.
- Brysiewicz, Joseph W. Lake Villa Township, Illinois. Chicago: Arcadia Publications, 2001.
- Article by Douglas Knox in Encyclopedia of Chicago History
- Encyclopedia of Chicago. Edited by James R. Grossman, Ann Durkin Keating & Janice L. Reiff. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2004
- Lake Villa then and now: a centennial history of Lake Villa, Illinois, 1901 - 2001. Compiled and edited by Candace M. Saunders and Julianne Kloc Trychta. Lake Villa, Illinois: Village of Lake Villa, Illinois, 2001.