|Los Angeles Laker Band|
Los Angeles, California
|Founded||October 16, 1979|
The Los Angeles Laker Band is a subset of the USC Trojan Marching Band that plays at Lakers home games. Created in 1979 at the request of Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss, this brass and rhythm ensemble performs at every Laker home game, including the playoffs, and regularly performs the national anthem before the game on the Staples Center court. The group is the only one of its kind in the NBA: a dedicated band that performs at every game in its own section. The band sits and performs in section 308. The Laker Band comprises nine trumpets, six or seven trombones, a bass guitar, and a drum set.
The band has been featured in the championship parade in downtown Los Angeles when the Lakers win the NBA title. Band members and the Laker Girls ride atop firetrucks for the parade down Figueroa Blvd.
Performance at Games
The Laker Band has a selection of over 70 arrangements of popular songs that they can perform at any game. The band typically plays “Gonna Fly Now” (the theme from the movie Rocky) before tip-off, a few songs toward the end of halftime, and a concert after the game. The Laker Band drum set and bass also provide the rhythm for the “Defense” cheer when the Lakers’ opponent has the ball and the brass section provides the “Charge” at the beginning of each period of play.
Following is some of the Laker Band's more frequently performed songs. The majority are arranged by USC Band arranger Tony Fox.
- Tusk - Usually right before the beginning of the 3rd period.
- Just a Gigolo - Last song of the post game concert. A favorite of Dr. Buss.
- Heartbreaker - Performed after Lakers losses.
- In the Stone
- Dance to the Music
- Deliver Me
- I Kissed a Girl
- The Kids Aren't Alright
- Kimi Yoshino, Lakers also have players in the stands, Los Angeles Times, June 7, 2009.
- on YouTube
- Doug Williams, Team may change, but Laker Band endures, ESPNLA.com, May 4, 2012
- Carla Hall and Peter Y. Hon, Thrice as Nice for Lakers and Fans, Los Angeles Times, June 15, 2002.
- The Spirit of Troy Press Pack