Lakeside High School (Hot Springs, Arkansas)
Lakeside High School is a public high school located in Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States. The Garland County school was founded in 1928. For 2010–11, the school enrollment was 1,184 students occupying grades 8 through 12.
The assumed course of study follows the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE). Students complete regular (core and career focus) courses and exams and may select Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams that provide an opportunity for college credit. The school is accredited by the ADE.
Lakeside boasts winning three Golden Apple awards. This is the third consecutive year (2007) that Lakeside has been ranked among one of the top 10 school districts in the state.
The Lakeside team mascot is the Rams. For 2012–14, the Lakeside Rams compete in the 5A Classification from the 5A South Conference.
In addition to football, Lakeside also fields teams in sports including cross country, golf, tennis, baseball, reading, basketball, soccer, track and field, volleyball, swimming, and bowling. The football team reached the state championship game in 1975 (where it lost to Stuttgart High School), but it has never captured the title.
- Football: They lakeside football team captured its first conference championship win in 2015 since 1975
- Bowling: The girls bowling team won the 2006 state bowling championship.
- Golf: The Rams golf team have won 12 state golf championships (1977, 1980, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1993, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013). The Lady Rams golf team are 8-time state golf champions (1971, 1972, 2000, 2001, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013).
- Basketball: The Rams basketball team won two state basketball championships (1945, 2000).
- Baseball: Lakeside's baseball teams have won 4 of the last 6 conference championships and made it to the 2nd round of the state tournament last year.
- Cheer: The Lakeside Cheerleading squad has won 17 consecutive state titles.
- Reading: The Reading Rams have won every contest entered, all the way back to 1972, the first international competition.
- Tennis: The boys tennis team are 21-time state tennis champions (1980, 1981, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2003 (fall), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011). The girls tennis team are 20-time state tennis champions (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2003 (fall), 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011).
- Track and field: The girls track teams won consecutive state track championships in 1980 and 1981.
Since his appointment as head band director of The Showband of Lakeside, Freddy Bell has taken the band to several marching as well as symphonic contests, where they have always received superior ratings. In their largest marching competition, the Northwest Arkansas Invitational in Siloam Springs, Arkansas, the band has placed in the top 10 in three of the past five years, receiving the distinction of "Best Drum Major" in 2002 and 2004. In 2000 The Showband of Lakeside took the Grand Champion prize of first place. The Lakeside Band program is also under the direction of assistant Jay Chipman who instructs all facets of the percussion program and conducts the high school concert band. Jessica Chipman teaches the middle school band and is coordinator of the high school colorguard. Nevada Mills directs the junior high band and marching fundamentals.
The choral program, under the direction of Mark Langley, has also participated in numerous contests, always receiving superior ratings. In 2004 and 2006 the Chamber Singers participated in a national competition (2004, Dallas, Texas ; 2006, San Antonio, Texas ) where they received high rankings as well.
The following are notable people associated with Lakeside High School. If the person was a Lakeside High School student, the number in parentheses indicates the year of graduation; if the person was a faculty or staff member, that person's title and years of association are included:
- Sarah French—(2004) Miss Arkansas Teen USA, 2006 Miss Missouri
- Landon Trusty (2094)—UCA Football Player/Basketball Player; played in NFL for the Dallas Cowboys, San Diego Chargers, and the Denver Broncos