Lakeview Square Mall
|Location||Battle Creek, Michigan|
|Address||5775 Beckley Rd.|
|No. of stores and services||50+|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||550,000 square feet (51,000 m2) (GLA)|
|No. of floors||1|
Lakeview Square Mall is an enclosed shopping mall serving the city of Battle Creek, Michigan. It opened in 1983 and features three anchor stores: JCPenney, Macy's and Sears. The mall is managed by GK Development.
Sidney Forbes and Maurice Cohen, owners of Forbes/Cohen Properties, opened Lakeview Square on May 15, 1983. More than 10,000 people were present at the mall's opening ceremony. It was first proposed in 1978, but development was delayed by a homeowners' association lawsuit. When it opened, the mall featured three anchor stores: J.C. Penney, Sears and Hudson's (which became Marshall Field's in 2001 and Macy's in 2006). General Growth Properties bought the mall, along with Westwood Mall and Lansing Mall, from Forbes/Cohen in 1998. The same year, Old Navy opened at the mall, replacing a space vacated by Kalamazoo-based department store Gilmore Brothers five years prior.
Dunham's Sports also opened a store at the mall in 2006, relocating from a nearby plaza. Steve & Barry's opened a store at the mall in 2007, replacing Old Navy. The Steve & Barry's went out of business during the company's bankruptcy in 2008.
- "Lakeview Square". General Growth Properties. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- Massie, Larry B.; Schmitt, Peter J. (1984). Battle Creek, the place behind the products: an illustrated history. Windsor Publications. p. 116. ISBN 0-89781-117-8.
- Hanna, Stacy (2 April 2006). "The mall at 23". Battle Creek Enquirer. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- Willis, Elizabeth (12 October 2008). "Looking good in silver: Mall marks 25th year". Battle Creek Enquirer. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- Sinderman, Martin (February 1, 1998). "Retail Investment Forecast -- 1998". Retail Traffic. Retrieved January 4, 2011.
- Rea, Linda (July 11, 1998). "Business booming at Lakeview Square". Battle Creek Enquirer. pp. 1A, 2A.
- Hanna, Stacy (31 May 2006). "Plaza to get new tenant". Battle Creek Enquirer. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- Antonian Rutherford, Stephanie (5 December 2007). "Holiday shoppers notice changes at Lakeview Square Mall". Battle Creek Enquirer. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- Antonian Rutherford, Stephanie (18 October 2007). "Steve & Barry's moving into mall". Battle Creek Enquirer. Retrieved 6 January 2011.