Lakewood, Zamboanga del Sur
Map of Zamboanga del Sur with Lakewood highlighted
|Region||Zamboanga Peninsula (Region IX)|
|Province||Zamboanga del Sur|
|District||2nd district of Zamboanga del Sur|
|Founded||November 11, 1977|
|• Mayor||Canuto C. Enerio Jr.|
|• Total||201.30 km2 (77.72 sq mi)|
|• Density||98/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||4th class|
The municipality was founded on November 11, 1977, when Barangays Gatub and Bagong Kahayag of the Municipality of Kumalarang and Barangays Lakewood, Bolalawan, Sebugay, Bisuangan, Lokoan, Backing, Dagum, Sapang Pinolis, Tubod, Gasa, Tiwales and Matalang of the Municipality of Lapuyan were separated and formed into an independent municipality named after Lake Wood, a large lake on which the poblacion is located. The most popular species of fish in the province can only be caught in the lake: the carpa and porang.
The Subanen tribe is the major ethnic group living in the suburban areas; they cultivate vegetables and corn for their own use. Subanens have their own dialect, but they also speak Cebuano as a common dialect for conversation.
- Bagong Kahayag
- Poblacion (Lakewood proper)
- Sapang Pinoles
The old name of Lakewood is Danaw Likowai and Tubod is Obod. Now Barangay Tubod is the largest barangay and most populated barangay, serving as a gateway to the town. Its name derives from the Cebuano term tubod which means "spring". It has a hospital, the Singidas Medical Clinic, which is regarded as the cleanest hospital of the town. The Lily's Hidden Spring in the upper part of Tubod, and Mainit Waterfall in the lower part of Gatub are among Lakewood's tourist attractions.
|Population census of Lakewood|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 12 May 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Province: ZAMBOANGA DEL SUR". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Presidential Decree No. 1236: Creating the Municipality of Lakewood in the Province of Zamboanga del Sur". The Lawphil Project. Arellano Law Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
||Siayan, Zamboanga del Norte||Midsalip|
|Kumalarang / Lapuyan|