This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aerial view of venue, 2013
Pace Amphitheater (planning/construction)|
Lakewood Amphitheatre (1989; 2000; 2008–09; 2016–17)
Coca-Cola Lakewood Amphitheatre (1989–2000)
HiFi Buys Amphitheatre (2001–08)
Aaron's Amphitheatre at Lakewood (2009–15)
2002 Lakewood Ave SE|
Atlanta, GA 30315
|Location||Lakewood Fairgrounds, Lakewood Heights|
|Owner||City of Atlanta|
|Construction cost||US$10 million|
The Cellairis Amphitheatre at Lakewood is a concert venue located in Atlanta, which opened in 1989. The amphitheatre seats 18,920 (7,000 seated; 12,000 on the lawn). It was designed to offer a state-of-the-art musical experience for both music fans and artists. The venue was built specifically for popular music.
The amphitheatre is located approximately 4 miles south of downtown Atlanta, at the Lakewood Fairgrounds. Phish, among others, have called the amphitheatre one of their favorite venues to play at, due to the quality of the acoustics rarely found at lower-level roofed amphitheatres. Linkin Park used their performance of "One Step Closer" from Projekt Revolution 2004 on their LPU 4 CD and also used their performance of "The Little Things Give You Away" from Projekt Revolution 2007 on their LPU 7 CD. In 2008, the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park opened in Alpharetta, Georgia, an affluent suburb on the north side of Atlanta. This gave Metro Atlanta another premier outdoor venue along with Lakewood, Chastain Park Amphitheater in Buckhead/Sandy Springs and the Frederick Brown, Jr Amphitheater on the south side in Peachtree City.
History of name changes
The venue opened as the Lakewood Amphitheatre in 1989. At some point, it became the Coca-Cola Lakewood Amphitheatre and retained that name until 2000, when the name was changed back to Lakewood Amphitheatre. In 2001, the venue became known as HiFi Buys Amphitheatre. As of the 2008 season, the venue was once again known as Lakewood Amphitheatre, due to HiFi Buys filing for bankruptcy in 2007. The facility utilized a logo similar to the one used before the name-change to HiFi Buys Amphitheatre. In May 2009, a naming-rights agreement was formed with Aaron's, and the venue was called Aaron's Amphitheatre at Lakewood. In January 2016 the venue went back to its classic name of Lakewood Amphitheatre. In November 2017, Cellairis signed naming rights to sponsor the venue and it officially became Cellairis Amphitheatre at Lakewood.
This section possibly contains original research. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following artists have performed at Lakewood Amphitheater:
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - August 4, 1989
- Bell Biv DeVoe - April 8, 1991
- Depeche Mode – 5 times: June 4, 1990; June 9, 1994; July 9, 2001; September 1, 2009; September 12, 2013 (The 2009 show was recorded for the group's live albums project Recording the Universe.)
- Spice Girls - June 18, 1998
- Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper - June 23, 2012
- Fall Out Boy & Paramore – July 30, 2014
- Slipknot – July 26, 2015; with Lamb of God, Bullet for My Valentine, and Motionless in White
- Nicki Minaj – August 2, 2015
- 5 Seconds of Summer — August 5, 2015 and July 24, 2016.
- Chris Brown – September 5, 2015
- Dead and Company – June 13, 2017
- Lakewood Amphitheatre
- "Tweeter Home files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy". Reuters. June 11, 2007.
- "Cellairis Signs Naming Rights Sponsorship of Lakewood Amphitheatre". PR Newswire. November 3, 2017. Retrieved November 23, 2017.