Lakhan-jo-daro is an archeological site and one of the largest cities of the Indus Valley Civilization. It is located within an industrial zone on the outskirts of the modern city of Sukkur and situated at the distance of mere 75 Kilometers from another major city of its contemporary era, Mohenjo Daro. It covers an expanse of more than 300 Hectares.
The site, which is located in Sukkur District (around 100 km away from the Mohenjo-daro site) on the right bank of Indus River was first discovered in 1985 by Prof Qasid Mallah and his team from Khairpur University and was excavated recently In 2006 by the archeologists and students of Shah Abdul Latif University. Excavations were also undertaken by Prof. Muhammad Mukhtiar Kazi of University of Sindh during 1996 and 2000. According to Dr. Mark Kenoyer It covers an area of more than 300 Hectares, as large as Mohenjo Daro (250 Ha) and was the second largest city of the Indus Valley Civilization.
A radiocarbon date obtained from a charcoal sample collected from the same trial trench opened in mound "C" from which samples were taken by the Italian Archaeological Mission in Sindh in 1997, and the bronze figurine was found by the same mission, confirm the datation of this part of the site (GrN-23123: 3960+/-140 BP; 2478+/-215 cal BC at 1 sigma)(see Biagi and Starnini 2021)
- The Archaeology of Indus Urbanism: Comparing Mohenjo Daro, Harappa and Dholavira: Lecture by JM Kenoyer
- Yusuf, Suhail (2014-02-07). "Don't forget Lakhan jo Daro". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 2020-10-26.
- ancient., sindh.ws. "Collecting samples from a Lakhueen-jo-daro trial trench". Archived from the original on 22 April 2008. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- Yusuf, Suhail (7 February 2014). "Don't forget Lakhan jo Daro". Dawn. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Access my, Library. "Sindh chief minister visits site of Lakhueen-Jo-Daro". Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- Pakistan, Historical Society (2003). Journal of Pakistan Historical Society. 51 (3–4): 86 . Missing or empty
- University of, Sindh. "Muhammad Mukhtiar Kazi". University of Sindh. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Collecting samples from a Lakhueen-jo-daro trial trench". Archived from the original on 2008-04-22.
- Yusuf, Suhail (2014-02-07). "Don't forget Lakhan jo Daro". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 2020-12-10.
P. Biagi and E. Starnini 2021. Indus Civilization. Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2021 C. Smith (ed.), Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology: 1-26 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-51726-1_3491-1