Lakshmi N. Menon
This is an old revision of this page, as edited by BrownHairedGirl at 13:31, 5 January 2018 (removed Category:Women government ministers of India; added Category:Women union ministers of state of India using HotCat). The present address (URL) is a permanent link to this revision, which may differ significantly from the .
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born in Thiruvananthapuram, she was the child of Rama Varma Thampan and Madhavikutty Amma. In 1930, she married Professor V.K. Nandan Menon, who later became vice-chancellor of the University of Travancore (1950-1951) and of Patna University, as well as director for the Indian Institute of Public Administration.
She was a Rajya Sabha member from 1952 to 1966. She served in the Ministry of External Affairs as parliamentary secretary from 1952 to 1957, as deputy minister from 1957 to 1962 and as Minister of State to 1966. Retiring from political service in 1967, she turned to social work and also to writing, authoring among other things a book on Indian women for the Oxford Pamphlets on Indian Affairs series, published by Oxford University Press. She helped to found the Federation of University Women in India. In recognition of her services, she was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1957.
Menon dedicated her active life after politics for the cause of the nation. She served the All India Women's Conference as president and patron for many years. She was the vice president of All India Prohibition Council along with Morarji Desai. In 1988, she along with A. P. Udhayabhanu and Johnson J. Edayaranmula established Alcohol & Drug Information Centre (ADIC)-India and served as its president till her death. She also served as president of the All India Committee for the Eradication of Illiteracy Among Women and as chairman of the Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust from 1972 to 1985.
- Ranade, Shobana; Nayar, Sushila (2003). "Lakshmi N. Menon (1899–1994)". In Mankekar, Kamla (ed.). Women Pioneers in India’s Renaissance. New Delhi: National Book Trust India. ISBN 9788123737669.
- Rajya Sabha members biographical sketches 1952 - 2003. rajyasabha.nic.in.
- IASSI Quarterly, Volume 15. Indian Association of Social Science Institutions, 1996.
- Lakshmi, C.S. (2 March 2000). "Strong voice, solid ideas". The Hindu. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- Women Members of the Rajya Sabha. Rajya Sabha Secretariat. New Delhi, 2003.
- "University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram". way2universities.com. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 15, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Annual Report 2014-15. Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lakshmi N. Menon.|
|This article about a Kerala politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|