Raai at Filmfare South Awards 2014
5 May 1985[note 1]
Belagavi, Karnataka, India
|Residence||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|Occupation||Actress, model, stage performer|
Raai Lakshmi (born as Lakshmi Rai on 5 May 1985) is an Indian film actress and model who predominantly appears in Tamil and Malayalam as well as Telugu and Kannada films. She made her Bollywood debut with the film Julie 2 (2017). She is particularly know to have performed intimate item songs with Tollywood superstars Chiranjeevi and Balakrishna despite of huge age difference.
Raai has completed over a decade in the film industry, acting in over 50 films in several languages.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Awards and nominations
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Raai Laxmi made her debut at the age of 17 in the Tamil film Karka Kasadara in 2005, after the director R. V. Udayakumar had been impressed with her performance in a short film titled Valmiki. Subsequently, she appeared in a number of Tamil films, including the comedy film Kundakka Mandakka (2005) opposite R. Parthiban, Perarasu's action-masala flick Dharmapuri (2006) and the romance film Nenjai Thodu (2007). In 2008, she began working in more serious films such as the drama film Velli Thirai, in which she played herself, and the action thriller Dhaam Dhoom, directed by Jeeva. She received positive feedback for her portrayal of a lawyer in the latter. A review from Behindwoods wrote: "The latter (Raai Lakshmi) sizzles even as she is supposed to play the court professional who is caught in the web of smuggling drugs". She won her first Filmfare Award nomination in the Best Supporting Actress category.
She made her debut in Malayalam in 2007, starring in Rock & Roll, opposite Mohanlal. She followed it up with several successful films such as Annan Thambi, 2 Harihar Nagar (2009), Evidam Swargamanu (2009) opposite Mohanlal, and Chattambinadu (2009) opposite Mammootty. She appeared in three Tamil films in 2009, Muthirai, Vaamanan and Naan Avanillai 2.
In Vaamanan, she played a glamorous supermodel. In 2010, she was seen in three films. She made special appearances during song sequences in two of them, In Ghost House Inn and Pen Singam and portrayed a cowgirl in the Tamil film Irumbukkottai Murattu Singam.
Public recognition and success (2011–2014)
Raai Lakshmi's first 2011 release was Christian Brothers, which was a huge commercial success. Her next two films were Tamil projects, the comedy horror Kanchana and the Venkat Prabhu-directed action thriller Mankatha, starring Ajith Kumar. She played a negative character in the latter, which was received positively by critics. Both films emerged as high financial successes. Following Kanchana's success, she was signed on to reprise the role in its Kannada remake.
Her latest release Arabiyum, Ottakavum, P. Madhavan Nairum opposite Mohanlal was met with mixed reviews but turned out to a commercial success. Her 2014 films were Aranmanai and Irumbu Kuthirai in Tamil, Rajadhi Raja in Malayalam and Shrungara in Kannada.
Debut in Bollywood (2015–present)
In 2015, she signed three Malayalam films, Arabian Safari Preview and Santhoshayi Gopiyetta and three Tamil films, Oru Ticketla Rendu Cinema, Sowkarpettai and Arjun, Divya Matrum Karthik. After a brief gap of two years, she performed her second item number opposite Pawan Kalyan in his Telugu film Sardaar Gabbar Singh (2016).
In May 2016 she signed to perform her third item number in Motta Shiva Ketta Shiva. In October 2016 she signed to perform her fourth item number with Chiranjeevi in his 150th film Khaidi No. 150.
Awards and nominations
- 2008 : Asianet Award for Best Female New Face of the Year - Rock N' Roll
- 2010 : Asianet Most Popular Actress Award - Evidam Swargamanu
- 2012 : 1st South Indian International Movie Awards for Stylish Star of South Indian Cinema - Female.
Surya Tv awards
- 2010: Nominated - Best Actress - 2 Harihar Nagar
- 2009 : Nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil - Dhaam Dhoom
- 2010 : - Nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Malayalam Evidam Swargamanu
- 2011 - Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil - Mankatha
- Other awards
|2005||Karka Kasadara||Anjali||Tamil||Tamil debut|
|Kanchanamala Cable TV||Kanchana||Telugu||Telugu debut|
|Rock N' Roll||Daya Sreenivas||Malayalam||Malayalam debut|
|2008||Velli Thirai||Herself||Tamil||Cameo appearance|
|Dhaam Dhoom||Aarthi Chinappa||Tamil|
|2009||2 Harihar Nagar||Christina Honai (Maya)||Malayalam|
|Naan Avanillai 2||Deepa||Tamil|
|Oru Kadhalan Oru Kadhali||Charanya||Tamil|
|Evidam Swargamanu||Advocate Sunitha||Malayalam|
|2010||In Ghost House Inn||Christina Honai (Maya)||Malayalam||Cameo appearance|
|Irumbukkottai Murattu Singam||Pakki||Tamil|
|Pen Singam||Herself||Tamil||Cameo appearance|
|Oru Marubhoomikkadha||Meenakshy Thampuran,
|2013||Vana Yuddham||Vijayata Vashisht||Tamil|
|Aaru Sundarimaarude Katha||Fouzia Hassan IPS||Malayalam|
|Balupu||Herself||Telugu||Special appearance in the song "Lucky Lucky Rai"|
|Sardaar Gabbar Singh||Herself||Telugu||Special appearance in the song "Tauba Tauba"|
|2017||Khaidi No. 150||Herself||Telugu||Special appearance in the song "Ratthaalu"|
|Motta Shiva Ketta Shiva||Herself||Tamil||Special appearance in the song "Hara Hara Mahadevaki"|
|2018||Oru Kuttanadan Blog||Sreejaya||Malayalam||Filming|
|Arabian Safari||Aswathy||Malayalam||Post Production|
|Untitled Mohanlal Bhadran Film||TBA||Malayalam||Announced|
|2015||Star Challenge||Contestant||Malayalam||Flowers TV||Reality show|
- "Lakshmi Rai". StarsFact.com. Retrieved 2016-11-13.
- "It's Raai Laxmi from now!". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Lakshmi Rai is now Raai Laxmi"
- "'Julie 2' teaser: Southern siren Raai Laxmi's bold, beautiful and blessed Bollywood debut".
- "Julie 2 teaser: Raai Laxmi is 'bold, beautiful and blessed' in her first Bollywood film. Watch video".
- Lahari Music | T-Series (2017-03-01), Ratthaalu Full Video Song | Khaidi No 150 Full Video Songs | Chiranjeevi, Lakshmi Rai | DSP| Rathalu, retrieved 2018-08-20
- Studio One TV (2016-03-11), Lakshmi Rai Video Song Mast Jawani || Adhinayakudu Telugu Movie || Balakrishna | Lakshmi Rai, retrieved 2018-08-20
- "50 FILMS IN JUST 10 YEARS".
- "I was brought up like a boy: Raai Laxmi"
- "Lakshmi Rai flooded with messages on birthday"
- Daithota, Madhu (July 29, 2014). "I'm not a bunt, don't speak to me in Tulu: Raai Laxmi". The Times of India.
- "Why Raai Laxmi doesn't share space with Sonakshi Sinha"
- "DHAAM DHOOM – MOVIE REVIEW CAST Jayam Ravi Kangana Ranaut Lakshmi Rai". Behindwoods.com. 5 December 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi Rai's hat trick with Mammootty!". Sify. 20 August 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi is happy with life". The Times Of India. 17 April 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- Prakash KL (6 September 2011). "Lakshmi Rai Ravishing | Ajith Kumar Mankatha". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "I'm on cloud nine, says Lakshmi Rai". ppSify. 8 September 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi in Kanchana Kannada remake". The Times Of India. 6 November 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi signs her next film with Sundar C - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Lakshmi's a biker in her next with Atharvaa - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Lakshmi Rai teams up with Mammootty again - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Lakshmi Rai signs a new Kannada film - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Sexy Laxmi to Go 'Hungry' for Lawrence!"
- "Raai Laxmi Recovering from Injury: Leggy Lass Thanks Fans for their Prayers"
- "Excited to work with Pawan Kalyan: Raai Laxmi"
- "Raai Laxmi lands a special role in ‘Akira’"
- "Raai Laxmi will sport a bikini in Julie 2"
- "Bold and beautiful 'Julie 2' poster: Raai Laxmi sets temperature soaring!"
- "'SANKSAARI' PAHLAJ NIHALANI TURNS DISTRIBUTOR FOR JULIE 2".
- "Raai Laxmi to shake a leg with Lawrence"
- "Laxmi Raai starts shooting for Khaidi No 150"
- "Raai Laxmi to shake a leg with Chiru"
- "SIIMA Awards 2012: Winners List". The Times Of India. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- "The Chennai Times Film Awards 2011". The Times Of India. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Raai Laxmi.|