Raai at Filmfare Awards South 2014
5 May 1989 [note 1]
Belgaum, Karnataka, India
|Residence||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|Occupation||Actress, model, Stage performer|
Raai Laxmi (born as Lakshmi Rai; 5 May 1989) is an Indian film actress and model who predominantly appears in Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu and few Kannada films. She is making her debut in Bollywood with the film Julie 2 (2017).
Raai has completed over a decade in the film industry, acting over 50 films in multiple languages.
Raai Lakshmi made her debut at the age of 15 in the Tamil film Karka Kasadara in 2005. Subsequently, she appeared in a number of Tamil films, including the comedy film Kundakka Mandakka (2005) opposite R. Parthiban, Perarasu's action-masala flick Dharmapuri (2006), and the romance film Nenjai Thodu (2007). In 2008, she began working in more serious films such as the drama film Velli Thirai, in which she played herself, and the action thriller Dhaam Dhoom directed by Jeeva. She received positive feedback for her portrayal of a lawyer in the latter. A review from Behindwoods wrote: "The latter (Raai Lakshmi) sizzles even as she is supposed to play the court professional who is caught in the web of smuggling drugs". She won her first Filmfare Award nomination in the Best Supporting Actress category.
She made her debut in Malayalam in 2007, starring in Rock & Roll opposite Mohanlal. She followed it up with several successful films such as Annan Thambi, 2 Harihar Nagar (2009), Evidam Swargamanu (2009) opposite Mohanlal, and Chattambinadu (2009) opposite Mammootty. She appeared in three Tamil films in 2009, Muthirai, Vaamanan and Naan Avanillai 2.
In Vaamanan, she played a glamorous supermodel. In 2010, she was seen in three films. She made special appearances during song sequences in two of them, In Ghost House Inn and Pen Singam and portrayed a cowgirl in the Tamil film Irumbukkottai Murattu Singam.
Public recognition and success (2011–2014)
Raai Lakshmi's first 2011 release was Christian Brothers, which was a huge commercial success. Her next two films were Tamil projects, the comedy horror Kanchana and the Venkat Prabhu-directed action thriller Mankatha, starring Ajith Kumar. She played a negative character in the latter, which was received positively by critics. Both films emerged as high financial successes. Following Kanchana's success, she was signed on to reprise the role in its Kannada remake.
Her latest release Arabiyum, Ottakavum, P. Madhavan Nairum opposite Mohanlal was met with mixed reviews but turned out to a commercial success. Her 2014 films were Aranmanai and Irumbu Kuthirai in Tamil, Rajadhi Raja in Malayalam and Shrungara in Kannada.
Debut in Bollywood (2015–present)
In 2015, she signed two Malayalam films, Arabian Safari and Santhoshayi Gopiyetta and three Tamil films Oru Ticketla Rendu Cinema, Sowkarpettai and Arjun, Divya Matrum Karthik. After a brief gap of two years she performed her second item number opposite Pawan Kalyan in his Telugu film Sardaar Gabbar Singh (2016).
In May 2016 she signed to perform her third item number in Motta Shiva Ketta Shiva. In October 2016 she signed to perform her fourth item number with Chiranjeevi in his 150th film Khaidi No. 150.
Based on an online poll conducted by The Times of India, Raai Laxmi won the "Best Actor Award in a Negative Role - Female" for Mankatha. In 2012, Raai Laxmi won the Stylish Star of South Indian Cinema - Female at SIIMA, 2012.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|1||2005||Karka Kasadara||Anjali||Tamil||Tamil debut|
|2||2005||Kanchanamala Cable TV||Kanchana||Telugu||Telugu debut|
|8||2007||Rock N' Roll||Daya Sreenivas||Malayalam||Malayalam debut
Asianet Award for Best Female New Face of the Year
|10||2008||Velli Thirai||Herself||Tamil||cameo appearance|
|15||2008||Dhaam Dhoom||Aarthi Chinappa||Tamil||Nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil|
|16||2009||2 Harihar Nagar||Christina Honai (Maya)||Malayalam|
|19||2009||Naan Avanillai 2||Deepa||Tamil|
|20||2009||Oru Kadhalan Oru Kadhali||Charanya||Tamil|
|22||2009||Evidam Swargamanu||Advocate Sunitha||Malayalam||Asianet Most Popular Actress Award
Nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Malayalam
|23||2010||In Ghost House Inn||Christina Honai (Maya)||Malayalam||cameo appearance|
|24||2010||Irumbukkottai Murattu Singam||Pakki||Tamil|
|25||2010||Pen Singam||Herself||Tamil||cameo appearance|
|28||2011||Mankatha||Sona||Tamil||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil|
|29||2011||Oru Marubhoomikkadha||Meenakshy Thampuran,
|35||2013||Vana Yuddham||Vijayata Vashisht||Tamil|
|38||2013||Aaru Sundarimaarude Katha||Fouzia Hassan IPS||Malayalam|
|39||2013||Balupu||Herself||Telugu||Special appearance in the song "Lucky Lucky Rai"|
|45||2016||Sardaar Gabbar Singh||Herself||Telugu||Special appearance in the song "Tauba Tauba"|
|47||2017||Khaidi No. 150||Herself||Telugu||Special appearance in the song "Ratthaalu"|
|48||2017||Motta Shiva Ketta Shiva||Herself||Tamil||Special appearance in the song "Hara Hara Mahadevaki"|
|50||2017||Untitled Mithraj Jawahar project||Telugu
|2015||Star Challenge||Contestant||Malayalam||Flowers TV||Reality show|
- "Lakshmi Rai". StarsFact.com. Retrieved 2016-11-13.
- TNN (Jul 29, 2014). "I'm not a bunt, don't speak to me in Tulu: Raai Laxmi". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "It’s Raai Laxmi from now!". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Lakshmi Rai is now Raai Laxmi"
- "50 FILMS IN JUST 10 YEARS".
- "I was brought up like a boy: Raai Laxmi"
- "Lakshmi Rai flooded with messages on birthday"
- "Why Raai Laxmi doesn't share space with Sonakshi Sinha"
- "DHAAM DHOOM – MOVIE REVIEW CAST Jayam Ravi Kangana Ranaut Lakshmi Rai". Behindwoods.com. 5 December 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi Rai’s hat trick with Mammootty!". Sify. 20 August 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi is happy with life". The Times Of India. 17 April 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- Prakash KL (6 September 2011). "Lakshmi Rai Ravishing | Ajith Kumar Mankatha". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "I'm on cloud nine, says Lakshmi Rai". ppSify. 8 September 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi in Kanchana Kannada remake". The Times Of India. 6 November 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi signs her next film with Sundar C - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Lakshmi's a biker in her next with Atharvaa - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Lakshmi Rai teams up with Mammootty again - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Lakshmi Rai signs a new Kannada film - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Sexy Laxmi to Go 'Hungry' for Lawrence!"
- "Raai Laxmi Recovering from Injury: Leggy Lass Thanks Fans for their Prayers"
- "Excited to work with Pawan Kalyan: Raai Laxmi"
- "Raai Laxmi lands a special role in ‘Akira’"
- "Raai Laxmi will sport a bikini in Julie 2"
- "Bold and beautiful 'Julie 2' poster: Raai Laxmi sets temperature soaring!"
- "Raai Laxmi to shake a leg with Lawrence"
- "Laxmi Raai starts shooting for Khaidi No 150"
- "Raai Laxmi to shake a leg with Chiru"
- "The Chennai Times Film Awards 2011". The Times Of India. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "SIIMA Awards 2012: Winners List". The Times Of India. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- "Raai Laxmi in remake of 100 Degree Celsius"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Raai Laxmi.|