Lal Salam (1990 film)
|Directed by||Venu Nagavalli|
|Produced by||K. R. G.|
|Story by||Cheriyan Kalpakavadi|
|Cinematography||K. P. Nambiathiri|
|Edited by||N. Gopalakrishnan|
|Distributed by||K. R. G. Release|
The story revolves around two phases of the lives of three Comrades - before and after the imprisonment of Sakhav Nettoor Stephen, Sakhav D.K. Antony (Inspired from T.V.Thomas) and Sakhav Sethulakshmi,(Inspired From Smt. K. R. Gowri Amma) members of the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
The plot revolves around the early days of the Communist Party in Kerala. Three Comrades, Nettoor Stephen (Mohanlal), D.K. Antony (Murali) and Sethulakshmi (Geetha) work tirelessly to empower the daily wage laborers and other proletarians of their village, to end the reign of feudal landlords, in the days when Communism was illegal to practice. Sethu and Antony are in love with each other, as are Nettooran and Annamma (Annakkutty), the daughter of Medayil Ittichan, the landlord whose press Nettooran runs, as his day job.
During a farmers' uprising, a landlord is killed and the blame is assigned on the three leaders of the party. The three go into hiding, while various atrocities are committed by the State Police under the pretense of trying to find them. Sethulakshmi is arrested. Grieved by these events, Nettooran and D.K. surrender. The three are convicted and sent to jail.
Upon their release, Sethu, D.K. and Nettooran are welcomed as heroes by the Party cadre. During their imprisonment, the Party has grown popular and has become a substantial political power. With the election for the State Legislative Assembly looming, Sethu and D.K are unanimously chosen as Party candidates, supported by Nettooran and other Party members. The party wins the State elections through a landslide victory and Sethu is chosen Home minister and D.K. finance minister.
Meanwhile, a pregnant Annamma is hospitalized with a pregnancy related complication. Nettooran, having devoted his time and energy for the party, is unable to purchase medication for Annamma. A desperate Nettooran goes to Father Felix, a central figure in the community. Father Felix lends him Rs. 50 and Nettooran pays for Annamma's medication. Shaken by the realization that he is financially incapable of leading his family, Nettooran goes to his friend Unnithan for advice. Unni advises him to set up a business. Fazed by the conflict of his principle ideology, and his living situation, Nettooran goes to Potty, who advises him to take a sabbatical from the party for a few years, in order to set up his business.
- Mohanlal...Nettoor Stephen (Nettooran): Mohanlal plays the title character of Nettoor Stephen (Nettooran), a Communist Party activist turned Industrialist. Nettooran. Nettooran marries Annakkutti, who is the only daughter Medayil Ittichan, an elite Christian landlord.
- Murali...D.K. Anthony: Murali portrays Sakhavu (Comrade) D.K. Antony, Nettooran's close friend and confidante, who is the son of a lawyer, but becomes an Communist Party activist alongside Nettooran and Sethulakshmi. He later becomes the finance minister in the state legislative assembly, in the first elected Communist government. He is married to Sethulakshmi, but has a child in his one-night relationship with Stella.
- Geetha...Sethulakshmi: Geetha plays Sakhav Sethulakshmi, an early day party activist, who, along with Nettooran and D.K, formed the most powerful trinity among party activists. She falls in love with and marries D.K., and later becomes the Home Minister of the State.
- Urvashi...Annakkutty: Annakkutty is Nettooran's wife. She elopes with Nettooran from her well off family against their wish.
- Rekha...Stella: Stella is tragic character, who has an illegitimate child from her brief relationship with Sakhav D.K.
- Madhu...Medayil Ittichan: Veteran actor Madhu portrays Ittichan, a rich landlord, under whom Nettooran was employed, running his press. Ittichan disowns his daughter Annakkutty, evidently not wholeheartedly, when she elopes with Nettooran.
- Jagathy Sreekumar...Unnithan: Unnithan is a trusty assistant to Nettooran, and was a Party activist along with Nettooran and D.K. in the early days.
- Nedumudi Venu...Father Felix: Father Felix is the priest in charge of the congregation to which the Medayil family belongs to. He marries Annakkutty and Nettooran, ignoring protests from his flock.
- Karamana Janardanan Nair...Janardanan Potty: Potty is a senior Party leader, who goes on to become the Chief Minister of the first Communist government of Kerala.
- Lalu Alex...Avaran Kutty: Avaran Kutty is Annakkutty's short tempered older brother, who despises Nettooran, whose relationship with his sister he opposed vehemently.
- Janardhanan...Kannan Muthalali: Kannan Muthalali is a shrewd businessman who pretends to be a well-wisher of the Party, expecting business returns.
- Thikkurissi Sukumaran Nair
- K. P. A. C. Sunny
|1||"Aadi Druthapada Thaalam"||K. J. Yesudas|
|2||"Aaro Porunnen Koode"||M. G. Sreekumar, Sujatha Mohan, Raveendran|
|3||"Lalsalam"||K. J. Yesudas|
|4||"Saandramaam Mounathin"||K. J. Yesudas|
- Lal Salam at the Internet Movie Database
- ReLook: Lal Salam at Movieraga.com