Lal Singh Chaudhary (politician)
Chaudhary Lal Singh
|Ex- Minister for Forest,Environment, Ecology of J&K |
|Assumed office |
1 March 2015 Term ends:14 April 2018
|Chief Minister||Mufti Mohammed Sayeed|
|Preceded by||President's Rule|
|Succeeded by||Rajeev Jasrotia|
|Member of J&K Legislative Assembly from Basholi|
|Born||2 February 1959|
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Residence||2, Police Lines Road, Down Town,Kathua, Jammu and Kashmir|
Chaudhary Lal Singh (born 2 February 1959) is an Indian politician and a member of the 12th Legislative Assembly of Jammu and Kashmir. He was Minister for Forest,Environment, Ecology of J&K in PDP-BJP coalition government in J&K. He represents the Basohli constituency in Jammu and Kashmir Assembly and is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party .
Singh started his political career as a student leader. He was elected as MLA from Basholi constituency in 1996 J&K Assembly elections. He was re-elected as MLA from Basholi in 2002 J&K Assembly Elections. He was inducted into state cabinet as Minister for Health and Medical Education in Congress-PDP coalition government. After that he was elected as MP in 14th Lok Sabha in 2004 from Udhampur constituency. He was again elected as MP from there in 15th Lok Sabha in 2009.
Change in Political Affiliation
In August 2014 , Singh parted ways with Congress after being denied ticket as Congress candidate during 16th Lok Sabha elections. He formally joined Bhartiya Janata Party in presence of BJP President Amit Shah at a function in Kathua.
In March 2015, a female doctor in J&K sought the registration of a criminal case against Singh for allegedly misbehaving with her in public. Dr. Gurmeet Kour, registrar of the state-run Hospital for Psychiatry Diseases, said Minister for Health and Medical Education Choudhary Lal Singh shouted at her in public, leaving her "mentally harassed and wrecked". Singh claimed that was an attempt to prevent him from bringing an improvement in the health facilities in J&K. In July 2015, Singh was criticised for touching the collar of a female doctor in a government hospital in Kashmir. In 2018 he attended a mass rally in support of the demand of CBI inquiry in Kathua Rape and Murder case as local residents alleged large-scale discrepancies in the Inquiry done by Kashmir Crime Branch. He resigned and started a campaign demanding impartial and fair investigation in the matter.
- "Council of Ministers : J&K Govt."
- "Basohli- J&K Assembly Election 2014"
- "BJP minister in Jammu and Kashmir 'fixes' woman doctor's collar, image goes viral".
- "Chaudhary Lal Singh :: Personality of Jammu province" Archived 22 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Former Congress MP Lal Singh joins BJP" Archived 2 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- Sharma, Arun (2015-03-12). "Woman doc alleges public misconduct by J&K BJP minister". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- "Jammu and Kashmir: BJP Minister Chaudhary Lal Singh touches woman doctor's collar, image goes viral". DNA. Press Trust of India. Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- "Zee News investigation of Kathua rape case raises question on chargesheet of crime branch". Zee News. 2018-05-01. Retrieved 2018-06-10.
- "Fresh trouble for Chaudhary Lal Singh: Former J&K forest minister accused of bending rules to supply cutch wood to factories - Firstpost". www.firstpost.com. Retrieved 2018-05-31.