|Directed by||Mehreen Jabbar|
|Produced by||Shailja Kejriwal|
|Written by||Syed Mohammad Ahmed|
|Music by||Haniya Aslam|
Lala Begum (Urdu: لالا بیگم) is a 2016 Pakistani drama short film directed by Mehreen Jabbar, written by Syed Mohammad Ahmed and co-produced by Shailja Kejriwal, Mehreen Jabbar and Vikas Sharma.
The story revolves around the bitter relationship of two sisters, Meher (Marina Khan) and Seher (Sonia Rehman Qureshi) in the 1970s. They have not been speaking to each other for the last 20 years. As Seher becomes widow, she returns home to claim her share of the family estate but Meher refuses to divide because she believes her sister brought dishonor to the family by marrying her husband, Ahmed and holds the grudge to this day. Meher has stayed single to honor her father’s legacy. According to him, if she were to marry, then a suitor could potentially swindle the family out of their estate. In order to protect it, she chose to be single. This sacrifice came with a sense of loneliness and estrangement. As for Seher, who believed in breaking the walls that Meher and her father put up in the family, things have not been hunky dory. However, her situation and the opposition from her family left her helpless.
- Marina Khan as Meher / Lala Begum
- Sonia Rehman Qureshi as Seher
- Humayun Saeed
- Syed Mohammad Ahmed
- Shehryar Zaidi
- Jahanara Hai
The film was premiered at Mosaic International South Asian Film Festival on 6 August 2016 under the Zeal for Unity banner. It is scheduled for public release on 4 November 2016.
Lala Begum received a positive review from Swati Sharan of India.com after the film was premiered at MISAFF. She said ″Overall, Jabbar has manufactured a film with great tones of suspense alongside a revelation of how much precious time we waste hanging on to our false prestige without truly enjoying ourselves.″
- "Mehreen Jabbar's short film Lala Begum to debut at Zee TV's unity initiative in India". Images. 9 February 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Humayun Saeed and Marina Khan return in 'Lala Begum'". Dawn.com. 3 July 2015. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- Rozina Bhutto (11 February 2016). "Mehreen Jabbar's 'Lala Begum' is part of Zee TV's 'unity project'". HIP. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Lala Begum Screening at Canadian Film Festival". Newsline. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Sharan, Swati (11 August 2016). "MISAFF Film Review: 'Lala Begum' Tells the Hauntingly Beautiful Tale of Two Estranged Sisters". India.com. Retrieved 8 September 2016.