He was the youngest son of Hirachand Doshi from his second marriage and was step-brother of Walchand Hirachand, who was born from first marriage of his father. He was born in Sholapur in Maharashtra in a Jain family of Gujarati origin. Name of his other brothers were Gulabchand Hirachand and Ratanchand Hirachand.
He was married to Lalitabai in June 1931 from the marriage they had three sons and a daughter.
When he grew up he joined his brother, Walchand and served its various group companies like The Scindia Steam Navigation Company Ltd., Walchandnagar Industries, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Ravalgaon Sugar, Hindustan Construction Company, Premier Automobiles, etc. He later served also as President of the Indian Merchants' Chamber and various other merchant bodies.
He also served as President of All India Digamber Jain Tirthakshetra Committee from 1972 to 1983, and was connected to a number of charitable institutions. He is also the author an acclaimed book on Ramayana named as The Indian epic – Ramayana.
He excellent business acumen , entrepreneur ship and leadership led him to be elected as the President of the Mechanical Engineers Association (India)*, Bombay for 1964-65 Session.
- Mechanical Engineers Association (India) , founded in 1914, later renamed in 1977 as Institution of Mechanical Engineers (India) based at Mumbai.
He was also a sports aficionado and was active member in the Cricket Club of India, the Willingdon Sports Club and various similar institutions. In addition, he was an avid golfer. He once won the Dunlop Trophy for Golf. He also loved to play tennis, badminton and bridge, as well. He could fly aeroplane and held commercial pilot’s license.
He is survived by sons and one of the flagship company, Walchandnagar Industries is now run his sons Vinod Doshi, Chakor L. Doshi and others, where as other companies went to sons of Gulabchand Hirachand, after family division of businesses, as the founder of the group Walchand Hirachand died without any male heirs.
He was trustee of various schools, collages and hospitals run by Walchand group.
He died in October, 1993.
- Lalchand Hirachand Archived 2012-02-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- Jain Samaj – Seth Lalchand Hirachand
- Progressive Jains of India – Satish Kumar Jain – Google Books
- Business Legends – Gita Piramal – Google Books
- Indian Business and Nationalist Politics 1931–39: The Indigenous Capitalist ... By Claude Markovits. 2002. p. 123.
- Lalchand Hirachand Doshi – Member of Rajya Sabha – 1952–58
- "Legacy". Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Walchandnagar Industries Limited
- HND Pune » About Us